Wrong flush and inhibitor used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had new glow worm 30cxi installed 2 yrs ago, serviced every year since. The pump is making nasty noises, engineer drained some water for testing and it was the colour of guiness. He says the system wasnt flushed on install. Installation book says X300 flush and X100 inhibitor have been used, but that is for new systems. Mine used all the old rads and most of the existing pipework. I'm now being quoted for a powerflush, magnate (sp?) crap remover and probably a new pump. Any advice please? Should I be giving the installers grief?

Sponsored Links
It sounds very unlikely that it was flushed at all on installation.

You would be surprised but about 10% of installers dont even know what chemicals SHOULD be used.

The cowboys fill in the chemicals on the Benchmark but never use any!

If the correct ones have PROBABLY been used then the sticker will have been completed and stuck on to the boiler.

You are unlikely to get anywhere with a cowboy installer but by all means try.

Power flushing about £350 and supply and install a magnetic filter about £180.

Tony

The engineer is right. In theory X300 should only be used for new systems.

In theory they should have used x400 or x800, which is for older systems.

I assume the x300 is not as strong as the x400, both can be left in the system for a few days then flushed out. The x800 should be used with a power flushing system.

Now how much the strength really matters is up for debate. Boiler manufacturers often work in tandem with those companies who make certain chemicals and hence its why you find some boilers specifically recommend certain companies products.

Yes, not all plumbers have a power flush machine because of cost and lots of clients don't want to pay the extra for the power flush over a flush or chemical flush, anyway.

It's down to what has been quoted for vs. what was really done; a chemical flush or a power flush.

You should have a water sample tested;
- it's the only way to know conclusively.
- We will do that for free if you post it to us
- you will have the results within 2days.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. There was a sticker on the boiler which is what alerted the new engineer. I'll send a sample for testing but it sounds like the large company who put £300 on the invoice for power flush and inhibitor took my cash. I'll be onto them and trading standards if I can prove it wasn't done.

Yes, not all plumbers have a power flush machine because of cost and lots of clients don't want to pay the extra for the power flush over a flush or chemical flush, anyway.

It's down to what has been quoted for vs. what was really done; a chemical flush or a power flush.

You should have a water sample tested;
- it's the only way to know conclusively.
- We will do that for free if you post it to us
- you will have the results within 2days.

Which chemical sticker(s) are on the boiler?

Its always possible that a system can be made dirty by the owner leaving the filling loop open. This removes the inhibitor and introduces oxygen which rusts the insides of the rads!

Tony

PS
I do wish that Iron Naz would refrain from making posts giving incorrect information and confusing people.

Which chemical sticker(s) are on the boiler?

Its always possible that a system can be made dirty by the owner leaving the filling loop open. This removes the inhibitor and introduces oxygen which rusts the insides of the rads!

Tony

Sticker on boiler says flush x300, inhibitor x100. The filling loop is connected (does that mean open?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back