New boilers work with old 8mm pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I would greatly appreciate some advice!

I've got a very old gas Central Heating system - that has 8mm pipes throughout the house. I was told by a plumber (not sure if he was impartial or not) that I would have to replace my pipes and radiators to be able to install a new boiler (have a system with separate hot water tank and I'd like to replace and go with a combi instead)

Is it possible to use what I already got as replacing everything wont just cost more money but also disrupt the entire house and ripping up floorboards etc...

Many thanks in advance, greatly appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
It would need a good flush, and pressure tested, but there's no reason it shouldn't work with the new boiler.

I don't believe the pipe diameter its self will be an issue. I have seen may microbore systems retrofitted with condensing boilers.

However it may be the installation of your pipework that is suspect.

I would ask for a second and maybe third quotation for the work.

Why do you want a combi? They are great for new installations because you don't have to install cold water storage tanks, hot water cylinders & wiring, but if they're already there why change? Combis offer some advantages, but there are also disadvantages.

Thank you so much for the replies, I will indeed get some more quotes!

I am looking to change to a combi because the placement of the water tank is really ridiculous - it sits in a box (huge) at the top of my stairs (this is an ex council house and the workmanship hasn't been very great) so I now have a big box poking out of what could be a really nice high ceiling staircase...

And I don't think there is any room to move it and I definitely dont want to keep it where it is.

Thanks again for the comments!

Sponsored Links
How did the conversion go? We have 8mm pipe and considering the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back