8mm piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Here the big question..
I had recently fitted a new combi boiler which replaced a very old one, which worked on a low pressure closed circuit water. All the CH was working on a 8mm pipes. The guy who did the job did not advice to do repipe the flat with the standard 15mm pipe, but I had other ppl saying I should have had it done. The CH is working ok now for the past 2 weeks with no pipe bursting or evidence that the boiler is loosing pressure due water leack etc, but my big question is will the 8mm pipe be a problem in the long term? Do you think the pipe will hold the higher pressure from a combi boiler? My concern is that i'm reflooring (on top of the exisiting wood floor) so you understand the kind of job I would have if a pipe will eventually burst! What should I do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No prob at all having 8mm on a combi providing everything is heating up ok , pressure won`t affect it .

If the pipework has been installed correctly there will be no joints except at the manifold and radiators!!
If there are any joints under the flooring they will be no more likely to leak than 15mm/22mm!!

BUT! you need to take special care to clean the system and keep inhibitor at a proper level.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys for ur answers,
the plumber did check the pipework and he said he looked ok. He actually did replace a joint at the mainfold point: he showed me that a floor board was wearing it by compressing it and he replaced it (at no extra charge). however now that you also confirmed that a 8mm pipework can do the job as well as a -say-15mm i feel much more reassured and go ahead with reflooring :p

ps just if u fancy explaining it but what does an inhibitor do???

basically Its a liquid that goes into the water to protect the rads from rusting. Your installer would have put it in during installation . you may have a sticker on boiler saying its fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back