8mm gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
The property I am in has an 8mm gas pipe running externally round the house through the back wall, straight through the side of the chimney to a gas fire.
My question
Is this safe/correct to run 8mm externally
Should it be covered or run in a bigger pipe to protect it?
Just seems a bit dangerous to me, the pipe is tiny and looks like 1 knock would damage it.
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Wrong on many levels

Interesting!
In a previous life I was responsible for the facilities in banking institutions. One bank had its gas meter at the rear, its new combi boiler towards the front of the premises. Along side was a busy public passage leading from car park, to the small shopping centre. The gas installer had run the 25mm copper pipe outside, along the public passage, one foot above the ground. There was no protection for the pipe other than the usual pipe clips and it showed obvious signs of kids having stood on it. It would also be a tempting target for theft.

I flagged it up as a serious concern at my every visit there, but my concerns were always rejected by the gas qualified engineer.

Sponsored Links
I will try and post some photos today.
Is it the size of the pipe that's the issue? Has he used 8mm all the way around for the pressure?
So I take it this needs sorting out?

Natural gas or lpg ? I vaguely remember the max on 8mm for ng is 1 meter but unsure about lpg.

I think it is a lot cheaper probably why its been used but looks flimsy as anything and it goes down the side from the main external gas pipe through the garage out to the back wall, along the back wall, through the wall into the room, along the wall to the chimney, through that wall to the fire
It's natural gas

The purchase price between the two is negligible - 8mm is about £1.50 a metre and 15mm about £1.75 a metre. 8mm can be installed much faster as no joins are required, but that doesn't excuse this installation which definitely isn't going to comply with regulations.

An upgrade to 15mm should be sufficient for a gas fire, converting to 8mm for the last metre. I wonder what other regs were ignored on this install?

Do regulations take into account metal theft, If they don't then the installer need not be concerned about theft
Good quality installers should not just concern themselves with doing the bare minimum to satisfy the regs

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
The purchase price between the two is negligible - 8mm is about £1.50 a metre and 15mm about £1.75 a metre. 8mm can be installed much faster as no joins are required, but that doesn't excuse this installation which definitely isn't going to comply with regulations.

An upgrade to 15mm should be sufficient for a gas fire, converting to 8mm for the last metre. I wonder what other regs were ignored on this install?

♂️ God don't I dread to think!
At least I know its not right and will have to get it looked at. Apparently it was installed by a qualified gas safe registered engineer employed by the shop that the fire was bought from and installed by, go figure?!

Do you know what make & model the fire is? Might be able to provide some additional guidance. Make sure the person you get in has a gas fires qualification on their card - being Gas Safe Registered is not sufficient. We have to do individual qualifications for every type of appliance we work on - boilers/ water heaters, cookers, fires, tumble dryers etc etc. Not everyone holds all qualifications, some only do their basic safety (which is mandatory) and boilers, for example.

Do you know what make & model the fire is? Might be able to provide some additional guidance. Make sure the person you get in has a gas fires qualification on their card - being Gas Safe Registered is not sufficient. We have to do individual qualifications for every type of appliance we work on - boilers/ water heaters, cookers, fires, tumble dryers etc etc. Not everyone holds all qualifications, some only do their basic safety (which is mandatory) and boilers, for example.

Didn't know that, I will check now if anyone comes round to give a quote, thanks
The fire is a kinder rocco mk2 model KCFL**RN2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back