Anyone got their books handy? Pipe sizing Q?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I capped of a fire the other day. There was a run of 9m of 8mm pipe feeding a 6KW gross gas fire. I know it's not right I just want to know how not right it is. What is the longest run of 8mm you can have for that input?
On the same system I capped off an illegally installed flueless fire with no ventilation also a leaking hob with a modified tap connector and no isolation valve.
Its a pity the landlord in question didn't spend as much on the gas installation as he did on the high quality block flooring thats down in there!

Sponsored Links
I get

3600 X 0.49 X 10.76 = 18980.64

18980.64 / 3600 = 5.27

So, 9m of 8mm will pass .49M3/hr which equals 5.27kw

The decision is yours John.

Oh, and what you doing up at that hour thinking about this :eek: :LOL:

;)

Sure it says somewhere no more than 1metre of 8mm for a fire, Which is why fire chromes never came in longer lengths.
Will see if i can find it

My tables don't go down that far, but 6m of 10mm, no fitting allowed, is right on the button.

That also assumes the pipe has been de-burred.

Sponsored Links
Sure it says somewhere no more than 1metre of 8mm for a fire, Which is why fire chromes never came in longer lengths.
Will see if i can find it

Totally agree, no more than 1metre in 8mm.

Tables in the book says typical fire uses 0.5m3/hr and a DFE 1m3/hr.
Tables only go down to 6metres of 8mm and that has a discharge rate of 0.29m3/hr so it looks like max length is around a metre

Got a pipe chart, I'll scan it and post it in the chamber (if I can do it on this unearthly devils advocate of a contraption). :LOL: :LOL:

;)

6 kw x 0.09=0.54 m3/h

would you not have to use 12mm= 0.85m3/h for 9m

as 10mm 0.5 at 9m would be to close

if wrong then i have learnt something today

The question is about 8MM so why are people answering about 10mm and 12mm and what is so special about tables they have to be posted in secert . They are openbly published in the corgi book

Books are in my old van. I haven't moved all the stuff out of it yet into the new van.

Convention is to run 15 up to chimney then 8mm to fire but I would have normally let it go if I could have justified the small pipe with a calculation assuming the correct working pressures were achieved. This not being a 'normally' I need some ammo to fire back just in case I get a query.

With the other stuff thats gone on there I have no trust in the previous installer and if I knew who he was I would grass him up. The afore mentioned tap connector was left in a leaking state and there was also a leak on the meter pipework. If I as a corgi had done that I could be facing some big fines.

The house had been renovated for a private landlord by persons unknown to me. Everything was a face job including the lovely electric shower that had no pipe or wire to it.

Oh, and what you doing up at that hour thinking about this

I am not losing sleep over it I am just nocturnal. ....

Thanks 4 everyones help BTW

Ok I confess I am a vampire :evil: :evil: :evil: ;)

[code:1]p = 1840259.4(Q^2 Lf)
d^5[/code:1]
where

[code:1]f = 0.0044(1+43.5/d)[/code:1]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back