Fire Tube question for CORGI engineers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is not the right forum for this question but help would be appreciated.
I am trying to install a new wall hung gas fired radiant heater. Here is my question.... The old heater was fed by the usual 8mm fire tube (Which I never work with as most DFE and inset fires I install I use 8mm flexible sheathed copper tube and install it coming up so it is hidden from view) But for this job the customer wants to keep her old beautifully crafted fire tube connected to the gas point and I want to continue the tube for another 8 inches to make the final connection in 8mm to the appliance (which will be hidden from view) If I cut the threaded end of the fire tube and use a compression Isolation Tee with olives will this make a gas tight seal between the fire tube and my Tee. I have read that fire tubes are just plated copper tube but I don't know if the chrome coating will prevent a good seal. I hope this makes sense !!!!
Alternatively is there an elbow connector available to extend an existing fire tube?
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is a quick answer... Many Thanks Ratonastick.. So if I cut off the old threaded end and connect using my Iso Tee then the seal will be gas tight between the fire tube and that Tee providing I use compound. They do say you never stop learning in this job.
Cheers Mate.

yes you can join them with a compression, but have you ever tried bending fire tube with mini-benders?, it will always ovalise....must be something to do with the plating treatment.

Sponsored Links
I must admit that I really try to stay away from fire tube, it looks very old fashioned. I install a lot of Limestone and Marble fireplaces as part of my gas work and find that most people want these things to work without any ugly pipework showing. I can normally bend my flexible tube by hand with very shallow bends, as you know when trying to run a supply in 8mm it does not take a lot to create resistance and an uneven flame in a burner.
The old heater that I took out of this job was installed 25-30 years ago and the new one looks exactly the same. "Who said change was bad" Ha Ha

I tend to prefer the knee... I get it right every time and use my little finger as a 8mm former. You should see how I bend a lump of 22mm. Ha Ha

Am i alone in wondering why someone who is already installing fires and should be registered is asking such a basic question about how to extend an 8mm fire tube and doesn`t even know all it is ,is coated copper.This is a question even a first year apprentice would not have to ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back