Gas fire - should gas feed pipe run through a tube?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Odd topic title but here's a better explanation.

10 year-old house.

I've capped off the isolator valve, ripped out the old gas fire and yesterday opened out the hole in the wall to expose the full chimney. I've bought a new Gazco Logic Convector and new fire surround/mantel. I'll be doing the building work to bring the dimensions of the opening down to those required for this fire, then calling our local CORGI chap back to connect the gas and fit/commission the fire. But before I begin the building work I'm planning the things I need to do.

The isolator valve pokes out of the wall to the side of the fire surround. I'd like the pipe to disappear from the valve into the (drylined) wall near the fire and behind the surround through to the void behind the fire, but to do this correctly will the pipe have to pass loosely through a larger-diameter tube or can it be embedded directly into the wall?

Naturally since it's Sunday I can't call the CORGI man and ask him - can anybody here help please?

Sponsored Links
Gaspipes are not allowed to run in drywalls. Not entirely sure if it is allowed to run a duct in a drywall, which would be the way around it, but ducts need to be of a certain size and it is unlikely you would able to realise that in the wall.
It will have to be sleeved where it goes through the chimney breast.

Gaspipes are not allowed to run in drywalls. Not entirely sure if it is allowed to run a duct in a drywall, which would be the way around it, but ducts need to be of a certain size and it is unlikely you would able to realise that in the wall.
It will have to be sleeved where it goes through the chimney breast.
Thanks for the reply, bengasman.

If the pipe can't be chased into the wall for a short distance then I'll have to reconsider my plan. I'll call the CORGI fitter tomorrow and see if he can pop in when he's passing and tell me what he wants me to do to prepare for his pipe.

I'll find something else to work on today. :)

Sponsored Links
pipes can be run in a dry lined wall providing you seal it with plaster or similar to seal it along its length so any possible gas escape cannpt go u[ behind the lining and wall. no need for a duct
Also pipe will require wrapping so plaster etc does not corrode it.
the existing valve can be taken out as new fire should have one fitted to inlet elbow of it if not it could still be hidden within fire.
But then again guy fitting it will be doing it so should know

Sadly my wife had other plans for me, bengasman. Nice idea though. :)

Thanks namsag for your input. If you're right I hope the RGI will tell me I can channel out the wall and drill the hole into the chimney void ready for him and just leave him to feed the (wrapped) pipe through and connect, before I fill over it and refit the surround after he's gone. Since it'll be his name on the certificates I'll leave it to his decision.

As with all things gas, it seems there's no easy answer for the DIYer like me. It's clear why gas qualifications are so important.

:confused: I'm surprised at the idea of channelling a gas pipe into the wall. You aren't allowed to do that with electricity cables (except for certain safe zones) on the grounds that someone might drill or nail into the wall. Puncturing a gas pipe could be very nasty.

I am sitting im living room looking at 6 double sockets everyone of them is on a cable drop in the wall dont have a clue what johnd is on about .
Most houses the cables are in a wall how else do they get there other than conduit

gas pipes should go straight through a wall taking the shortest practicable route, the exception is the supply to an ILFE type fire which is recessed into the wall, so the supply is allowed to go into the wall and round to the back and under the fire where the connection is, needs to be wrapped for protection and i dont think you are allowed fittings under the fire (this bit might be from a dream and not based on fact)

Kirk if your going to quote rules get the right ones . What you have quoted is for when a pipe bridges a cavity

I am sitting im living room looking at 6 double sockets everyone of them is on a cable drop in the wall dont have a clue what johnd is on about .
Most houses the cables are in a wall how else do they get there other than conduit

One of the safe zones is directly above a socket, like yours. They have to run directly vertically or horizontally to the visible socket so that you have a clue where it might be dangerous to drill. You aren't allowed for example to run cable diagonally if it is concealed under plaster.

edit

here you are
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Yeah i know that :rolleyes: , but that is different from not being allowed to chase cables into walls as you first said

Kirk if your going to quote rules get the right ones . What you have quoted is for when a pipe bridges a cavity

surely the rule applies to any wall where the ILFE is, ( cant be bothered looking before posting, dont mind being wrong and getting something clarified)

surely the rule applies to any wall where the ILFE is, ( cant be bothered looking before posting, dont mind being wrong and getting something clarified)

if memory serves there was an exemption to allow the pipe to run in the cavity behind the fire :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back