running gas pipe into fire place....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am fitting a fire into my fire place, but the current gas supply comes up through the floor to the restrictor elbow and the runs along the front of the fire place into the builders opening.

am looking for any ideas for hiding it. i dont want to damage the surrounding hearth....

Sponsored Links
Can't you bring it up to one side and drill a long hole through the side of the chimney breast? There's that ventilated-sleeve 8mm pipe for the purpose. I have a coil - lifetime's supply I daresay..

err i am corgi!!!!

but i just repair the damn things......lol

i did want to hide the pipe compleatly, and in the process not do too much damage to the interior decor.....as it recently been decorated.

any idea how much the ventilated sleve 8mm pipe is chris....bet it only comes in 25 m rolls as well, cause i would only need about 1.5m...

Sponsored Links
I move restrictor elbow fittings all the time.
It is much more difficult if the surround is existing, but not impossible.
First you have to check the access directly under existing chimney/fireplace, commonly it is found that full width of the chimney carries on down to the foundations under the floor, if your lucky under the floor it will be accessible and although labour intensive, you have to use the longest drill possible within the chimney opening and drill down on an angle under the constructional hearth (original concrete hearth, level with existing floorboards) then knock a brick out of the front face of the chimney stack under floor and go "fishing" for your drill bit. If you are very lucky you may have access via a cellar, or sometimes under the floor the chimney is open directly under the hearth so after drilling your hole from within the builders opening you can see your drill bit below floor level. Obviously every house is built differently but post back if you think it is worth the trouble to carry on and you need more advise

labour intensive is the word in this instance remove the two or four fixings holding the surround carve out a channel use 15mm as a sleeve and run 8mm pipe through the 15mm into the opening turn the restrictor elbow to face the surround and connect 8mm pipe to restrictor elbow remember to seal the sleeve and protect the pipework in the opening,sorry to swear but b&q do a gas fire kit with 1m of 8mm pipe with 15 by 8mm isolation for around a tenner hope this helps

cheers for the info lads....i got all the bits apart from the 8mm pipe, i just gotta lft the floor boards to have a look whats underneath them.

labour wise, i gotta run the pipe, fit the fire, and lay some laminate all in a day..........should be fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back