Wall Mounted Flueless Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am going to have a wall mounted flueless gas fire installed onto a solid brick internal wall.
I am currently decorating the wall and wondered how the gas supply pipe would be hidden up to the fire?

Do I need to channel out the wall and bury some galvanised steel conduit (or similar) for the gas suplly pipe to run through?

I obvisouly want to get the decorating complete before the fire is fitted.
Do wall mounted fires also require a non combustible hearth?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First, be prepared for a deluge of dommsadyers. Most comments you will read are absolute nonsense, save for vents causing draughts. This can be minimised by careful selection and siting. We do a fair few and have had only a couple of comments rather than complaints.

BUT: Who is fitting the fire?

I am guessing that you have bought ot off the 'net, or a shed, without any advice. If you haven't yet purchased, then go and buy it from a proper shop, but remember that their free advice costs THEM money.

The galvanised pipe method of yours won't work, and we won't give GAS advice to DIYers.

The job has to be structured and planned, and will requitre at least 2 visits.

Don't forget the vent, and again advice is needed.

No, they don't normally need a hearth

Yes purchased off the net.

I am not asking for info on connecting and testing the fire.

I had planned on completing the majority of works myself and getting a gas fitter to install pipework, make final connection and test.

As such I wanted to be prepared by having the decor finished with the fire ready to be hung. I just need to know what the gas pipe would run through in the vertical rise up to the fire.

I am currently decorating the wall and wondered how the gas supply pipe would be hidden up to the fire?
It depends - couldn't say without seeing it.

Do I need to channel out the wall and bury some galvanised steel conduit
You certainly could NOT use that.

Do wall mounted fires also require a non combustible hearth?
It depends - couldn't say without seeing it.

It's all up to your installer to decide.

And I'm one of many who would never fit or service one of those things. If very little goes wrong, they become very dangerous .

Sponsored Links
Yes purchased off the net.

I am not asking for info on connecting and testing the fire.

I had planned on completing the majority of works myself and getting a gas fitter to install pipework, make final connection and test.

As such I wanted to be prepared by having the decor finished with the fire ready to be hung. I just need to know what the gas pipe would run through in the vertical rise up to the fire.

sorry but that is your first mistake, any GSR engineer who is competant wont connect a fire that was fitted by a home owner, as the connecting/commissioning and sign off leaves the GSR engineer liable for your work, at best contact an engineer now, get them to plan and design the work then get them to first fix as required, then return to second fix test and leave safe for you and your family

Whilst flueless gas fires are perfectly safe when installed correctly,my concern is a future lack of maintanance,how many people actually have thier gas appliances serviced every 12 months,with a flued appliance they are a bit forgiving.The ventillation is imperative do not block it under any circumstances[can cause draughts]also fit a co sensor.I,m sorry if this seems a bit negative but it sticks in my mind that a registered engineer was prosercuted over a death when he only made a small error,he set the gas rate slightly high plus installed the air vent too close to the fire,this was not his fault as a distance was not specified in the m.i.s.

.I,m sorry if this seems a bit negative but it sticks in my mind that a registered engineer was prosercuted over a death when he only made a small error,he set the gas rate slightly high plus installed the air vent too close to the fire,this was not his fault as a distance was not specified in the m.i.s

No he didn't, mate. The FocalShite factory set it wrongly (or not at all as it was massively overgassed and at maximum rate). His MAJOR, and unforgivable, error was not conducting required mandatory tests. Which is why he is in Jail. And where someone from FP should be. It IS unbeleivable that they got away scot free

.I,m sorry if this seems a bit negative but it sticks in my mind that a registered engineer was prosercuted over a death when he only made a small error,he set the gas rate slightly high plus installed the air vent too close to the fire,this was not his fault as a distance was not specified in the m.i.s

No he didn't, mate. The FocalShite factory set it wrongly (or not at all as it was massively overgassed and at maximum rate). His MAJOR, and unforgivable, error was not conducting required mandatory tests. Which is why he is in Jail. And where someone from FP should be. It IS unbeleivable that they got away scot free
I stand corrected,but it goes to show NEVER cut corners.

The question most people seem to forget: what is the point of installing a fire and then cutting a 100 cm2 hole in the wall to create a 24/7/365 lot of draft?

the flame needs to be 225mm above carpet, or check manufacture instructions

It's 300mm if there's a carpet, or likely to be a carpet, and no hearth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back