Installing Flueless Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a house where two reception rooms have been knocked into one. At one end there is a gas fire within a chimney, at the other end there is nothing. I would like to have the room put back into 2 rooms a flueless gas fire fitted on an internal wall, however the floor is concrete. Is this possible?

Cheers,

Lisha

Sponsored Links
You will be well advised NOT to go for a flueless fire. I am sure others will say the same thing.

Better to go for a hole thro the wall type.

I fit quite a few aquisition X-Fires which are flueless and look the danglies; quite safe too when fitted properly.

If you want to go down this road; do some research as you'll need an airvent in most cases and the fire size will depend on the room size.

Additionally; you'll need to run a gaspipe; if you have a concrete floor this may mean chasing into the floor.

Sponsored Links
As said before, its completley possible.

You Can either run the gaspipe above the ground (im betting your not wanting that)

Or Youd have to dig/cut the concrete to run it in, which will need sleeved/chased to run safley.

I also would be very warey of flueless fires, most if not anyone ive spoken to wont install or maintain them as they dont agree with them.

If it was me, Id be getting an electric one, or having a proper flue put in (lots of cash)

SGM

How they work then ......

Ya gas hob don't have a flue..... I'm supposing they work on the sane principal ........ However I know poop bout it :oops:

You don`t have your gas hob on 4 burners for possiblly 5/6 hours a night in the winter

In a nutshell, somebody died because the installer didn't notice a manufacturing error, so we're all scared.
If you have one fitted, make sure you have a battery or mains CO detector too.

Meaning hob 2/3 rings on fo say half hour only burn Xamount of avialable oxygen in the room . Flueless fire on for 5 hours burns XXXX amount of oxygen, vent into room blocked up because of the draft it gives situation can then become dangerous.

So its more the thing eating up the oxy rarther than gassing you with its by products ?

Its when it starts to burn the co2 that CO is produced. Which is why you need ventilation etc etc.

I wouldnt have one in my house

IF it doesn`t get the right amount of oxygen the products coming out of it then change and thats what kills you

Flueless fires; like every fossil burning appliance produce CO (Carbon Monoxide)... They use a catalytic converter to reduce the CO levels to that tollerable in a normal living environment. You then add an air vent to assist air change and ensure the room is big enough to accomodate air change and sufficient dilution.

Whenever fitting a flueless fire; or any fire for that matter... Always seek professional advice from someone who can assess and make a true engineering and experienced judgement... As always, watch out for those people just out to make a quick buck.

Of course; in a perfect world; there will be no CO; and just CO2; but who lives in a perfect world?

namsag said:
IF it doesn`t get the right amount of oxygen the products coming out of it then change and thats what kills you

Ahhhh Gottcha ........... Electric fire with red bulbs & those spinny round things anyone ? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back