Flueless gas fire ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Just like the idiot 'GAS SAFE' guy i asked to connect, test and sign off my F G fire--....
Get those on a regular basis.
"I've bought a (whatever) and just need someone to stick it in...."

Or even worse:

"I have/me brother has/my mate who knows all about this has installed my (whatever), and I just need someone to hook it up and sign it off...."

The obvious reason they got some reject from fleabay flung in by some spectard, is that in essence they are small-minded, skin-flinting red-knob-owners who will happily spent a whole day getting the last possible tenner off the price and think they are really clever.

They get the "sorry can't help you" before they finish the first sentence from me, and from every other quality RGI.

Sponsored Links
If I could he bothered to check I would say three have been fitted by my good self. All begrudgingly.

I am pretty well endowed in the hair department thanks. But you carry on and remember to keep taking the tablets.

Have you worked out those action levels yet? Or are you still avoiding the questions?

Not sure if you're talking about my profile picture or my website picture. But if you knew how to use Google you would see I don't live in a flat ;) and the local fuzz are few and far between.

...Just like the idiot 'GAS SAFE' guy i asked to connect, test and sign off my F G fire--....
Get those on a regular basis.
"I've bought a (whatever) and just need someone to stick it in...."

Or even worse:

"I have/me brother has/my mate who knows all about this has installed my (whatever), and I just need someone to hook it up and sign it off...."

The obvious reason they got some reject from fleabay flung in by some spectard, is that in essence they are small-minded, skin-flinting red-knob-owners who will happily spent a whole day getting the last possible tenner off the price and think they are really clever.

They get the "sorry can't help you" before they finish the first sentence from me, and from every other quality RGI.

Exactly the same here.
And the extremely experienced and competent RGI I know will they play dumb,
they might say that they don't have the right tools,
that they don't know how it works... etc etc.
because they have no intention of working for someone who thinks he knows more than they do.... etc etc.
And actually those same people would not be willing to pay the price that experience / established RGI charge so it would be a waste of time giving a quote.

Tell me - WHY do you knock flueless gas fires ?
You have never had one --never used one .
Why do YOU knock them ?

Because:

1. They're for decoration only, not space heating.
2. They're for sale in B and Q.
3. They require purpose provided ventilation.
4. They can produce a lot of condensation.
5. They're a cheap alternative to having your flue repaired properly.
6. Electric ones look just as good.
7. YOU like them.

;)

Sponsored Links
Tell me - WHY do you knock flueless gas fires ?
You have never had one --never used one .
Why do YOU knock them ?

Because:

1. They're for decoration only, not space heating.
2. They're for sale in B and Q.
3. They require purpose provided ventilation.
4. They can produce a lot of condensation.
5. They're a cheap alternative to having your flue repaired properly.
6. Electric ones look just as good.
7. YOU like them.

;)

1/ Incorrect
2/Only Focalpoint fires
3/So what ? ALL HOUSES SHOULD HAVE VENTILATION no ventilation causes all sorts of breathing problems these days- especially for kids.
4/ Load of ballcocks--it is a myth. LACK of ventilation produces condensation. (see point 3)
5/ They are more expensive than conventional gas fires . Flues hardly ever need a reapir- they just require cleaning --that's what Chimney sweeps used to do.
6/Electric fires DONT look as good-- they look cheap and nasty. However- they look better than they did years ago. Make sure you replace the Red Lamp though . ha
7/Yes- I like them- and so do millions of other people too. Efficient, clean, living flame and easy to maintain . Not to mention- no heat going up the chimney and for the 'green' lovers no harm to the ozone layer .

Finally- I invite people to tell me as many negatives as I have provided positives .

Will ANYONE ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE ?.

I doubt it -- because they will be afraid they will be laughed at.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to state my case.
I appreciate it .

You asked for comments from someone with a flueless fire, here's one. You don't seem to have foound it interesting enough to reply to, so just in case you missed it I've posted it again for you.
So-- why dont we hear any comments from ANYONE- who ACTUALLY HAS A F G FIRE FITTED ??.

That would be interesting indeed.

Not wishing to get involved in the argument,

but

I had a flueless gas fire and it was cr*p. After one winter the walls and ceiling were covered in some waxy, sooty substance, and then I thought, what happens when the catalyst fails?

Pipe capped and appliance removed.

Mogget.

So-- why dont we hear any comments from ANYONE- who ACTUALLY HAS A F G FIRE FITTED ??.

That would be interesting indeed.

Not wishing to get involved in the argument,

but

I had a flueless gas fire and it was cr*p. After one winter the walls and ceiling were covered in some waxy, sooty substance, and then I thought, what happens when the catalyst fails?

Pipe capped and appliance removed.

Mogget.

In All honesty

who fited the fire.?

Did you fit a vent ?
Where was the vent fitted.
How big was the vent and where did you get it from ?.

Was a FGA used when it was fitted?.
What was the make of the Flueless gas fire. ?.
Please answer .

It makes a difference to people who are considering buying one .

Its a bit like going to docs with a cough - he says how many fags do you smoke a day - you say 5
Doc knows its 10 or more though .

Hard to help others and yourself if you dont tell truth .

Please dont be influenced by the 'hard core' hair bear bunch on here'.

It's nice to help others .

The catalyst does not make the slightest bit of difference at all.
It did to the poor 14 year old girl who died in wales after the catalyst got covered in soot and renedered useless.
Catalysts are just put into make allowances for any irregularities that may occur due to a incorrectly installed fire by a GSA or otherwise numpty.
Do you mean like a numpty who would fit the vent behind a radiator 'to warm the draught' where it can't be checked for blockages?

Why dont you just read up on them and keep a open mind buddy.
You don't seem to realise that a space heater can be on all day and night in cold weather, which makes them potentially a lot more dangerous than a water heater or cooker. Especially if the fookin idiot who installs the vent puts it behind a rad and it blocks up, resulting in vitiated air (lack of oxygen to you) which then makes the flame produce CO, resulting in more vitiated air and more Co etc.etc.

Got an imaginary job working for Burley have you? :rolleyes:

PP its bad enough changing what you put but to quote me and edit that to suit your argument shows you up even more .
If i wanted to slag sooey i would as he would me so stop being a bawbag

Can you not find it on google then PP thats the trouble gas reg books are not freely available on google hence why your struggling on this topic

I fail to see what is so funny about an extractor fan that shifts 90cu m of air per hour? The basic 6" fan from Screwfix is claimed to move 230cu m per hour.....

When people are being further and further pressed with the rising cost of living they will look to save wherever possible, especially with energy costs spiralling upwards every year. The majority of the general public will look to seal gaps, prevent drafts etc, and would think nothing of blocking a vent, with scant knowledge of how vital this vent could be in relation to the safe use of fossil fuel burning appliances in the property.

The general consensus is these fires can be dangerous, if not lethal, and most of us who wish to sleep at night would take the option of not fitting such an appliance for fear of what may go wrong. It is impossible to allow for every eventuality, such an appliance could be fitted tomorrow with no problems, the occupier (who always knows best!), then spends the weekend eliminating drafts and promptly renders a previously safe installation lethal. Ultimately prevention is better than cure.

I fail to see what is so funny about an extractor fan that shifts 90cu m of air per hour? The basic 6" fan from Screwfix is claimed to move 230cu m per hour.....

When people are being further and further pressed with the rising cost of living they will look to save wherever possible, especially with energy costs spiralling upwards every year. The majority of the general public will look to seal gaps, prevent drafts etc, and would think nothing of blocking a vent, with scant knowledge of how vital this vent could be in relation to the safe use of fossil fuel burning appliances in the property.

The general consensus is these fires can be dangerous, if not lethal, and most of us who wish to sleep at night would take the option of not fitting such an appliance for fear of what may go wrong. It is impossible to allow for every eventuality, such an appliance could be fitted tomorrow with no problems, the occupier (who always knows best!), then spends the weekend eliminating drafts and promptly renders a previously safe installation lethal. Ultimately prevention is better than cure.

GENERAL CONSENSUS ? Pleas explain precisely what a general consensus means /.

On this forum--it means - anyone who goes with the flow of uninformed posters-- form a uninformed opinion --because of peer pressure .

Some well informed people on here have given proven positive response and factual positive posts the attributes of F G Fires-- but they are totally ignored .
Ignored-- because the 'sheep' prefer to go with the flow and listen to fould mouth people-- mainly gsa plumbers - just to kep the peace and score Brownie points.
It is a uphill battle for the manufactures of these appliances .
However - millions of people who use such appliances can not possibly be wrong.
It is only the scare mongerers on here who knock such things .

Careless talk costs lives and costs jobs too. Unfairly in my opinion./
I would suggest people who do not have any experience of these fires-- keep their mouths shut- and not bow down to the pressure inflicted by the minority (who have No experience) to 'slate a really good product.

Every thread on here about FG Fires has resulted in the same people every time knocking them and also insulting myself continously.
Poke a lion with a stick- and it will bite. Hence my replies to insults.

There are a few posts on here going back a year or 2 that provide 'proven positive facts about these fires. BUT-- still- the same old plumbers gang- who just acr on heresay- continue to knock them.
Cleverer people than plumbers designed these fires and put their reputations on the line . And also their livelihoods .
Just take a step back and consider those facts .

You have spent pages trying to tell people who KNOW better that vents don't cause draughts. We've ALL seen blocked off vents even though the tenants know they are needed.
That alone is more than enough reason for people who KNOW not to like fitting them.You've tried to tell people who KNOW better that you can site a vent behind a radiator (to warm the draught :LOL: )and demanded proof when they tell you you can't
There is no more to be said, this thread is titled Flueless gas fire ventilation, in your case it should be called Clueless gas fire ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back