Flueless gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just put a flueless fire in my living room and i'm unsure if I need an air brick putting in as I don't have the instructions, all I know is on the box it says I need purpous ventilation of at least 100cm2, can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
John
Right, first off thanks for all the helpfull replies, secondly, the fire is not being used, hence the reason I'm asking the question on here and it wont be used until I have now put a vent in..

Sponsored Links
I am out of here before there is a fatality!!!

Why are you fitting a flueless gas fire without the MI's! Secondly, if you are not sure about the vent and proper installation I hope you live alone, as you run the risk of only killing yourself.... Guess brains and common sense are NOT plentiful where you live :rolleyes:

Until you get someone competent it, can I recommend some additional equipment for you and your family:

Sponsored Links
RIP John 2509 18/12/2008 - 08/03/2009
we are gathered here today to mourn the loss of John2509
John was anice man who joined us at DIYnot and then sadly killed himself with a flueless death trap he fitted in his lounge

farewell my friend it was nice but a brief acquantance

Hi, I've just put a flueless fire in my living room and i'm unsure if I need an air brick putting in

You need to understand how a flueless gas fire works. The carbon monoxide produced by your fire has no means of escaping via the norm which is a regular flue or chimney, a flueless fire depends on a catalytic converter which changes these poisonous gases to a harmful emission. If the catalytic converter fails, and they do, you will die, you won`t even have a chance, if that converter fails, you will die and so will everyone in the room.

There is no once a year service, it may fail after a week.

Get educated and look up flueless fires/ death rates on internet smart boy.

Don't need to research anything thankyou very much I'm educated enough on flueless gas fires and their dangers, kind of need to be when your on a gas course!

Do you think it can be drilled more into this ignorant ops head that he has put himself and his families lives in danger, I believe it can't, so I would rather just laugh at how dumb he has been.

What's it gotta do with you what I decide to post anyway?

Your name says it all.

I think you need to re -read your post and then read up on complete combustion i.e. production of CO :!:

The carbon monoxide produced by your fire has no means of escaping via the norm which is a regular flue or chimney, a flueless fire depends on a catalytic converter which changes these poisonous gases to a harmful emission

Says it all :!:

You've DIYed a flueless fire. You do not have the knowledge or competency to know if its safe, vent or no vent. I think you will find a large majority of installers won't touch these fires with a large pole due to the way they operate and the potential for a dangerous situation to materialise.

I can sometimes understand why someone might DIY a boiler, no money etcc... but a fire? its a luxury not a necessity, and yet your clearly prepared to risk yours and others safety for this luxury.

Personally I agree that these fires are an accident waiting to be happen, make it a DIY installation and maybe you will be adding to the statistics we're expecting to see very shortly.

You've DIYed a flueless fire. You do not have the knowledge or competency to know if its safe, vent or no vent. I think you will find a large majority of installers won't touch these fires with a large pole due to the way they operate and the potential for a dangerous situation to materialise.

I can sometimes understand why someone might DIY a boiler, no money etcc... but a fire? its a luxury not a necessity, and yet your clearly prepared to risk yours and others safety for this luxury.

Personally I agree that these fires are an accident waiting to be happen, make it a DIY installation and maybe you will be adding to the statistics we're expecting to see very shortly.

Ok, I think I need to straighten a few things out here, all I have done is screwed it to the wall, I am waiting for a corgi registered gas fitter who is a mate to come and connect it up, secondly, I am asking if I need a vent so I can get it in and done before he gets here as we are starting to decorate, despite all these replys on here I am not stupid and know the dangers of carbon monoxide...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back