Flueless fires and air vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at a flueless fire in B&Q and the room it goes in must have an air vent of 100cm2.
Is there a recommended position of the air vent (high level low level)? and can you get these from say B&Q.
B&Q do a 4" grille with flymesh in is this ok or must there be 100cm2 free area in which case a 6" grille would be needed.

Sponsored Links
A lot of gas installers refuse to fit these things because they are intrinsically unsafe. Do a search on them and you will find, plenty of reasons to think again.

Firstly flueless gas fires are a form of suicide :eek:

Secondly any gas vent must not have any fly screen fitted and must not be closable.

Sponsored Links
100CM2 and at high level. no flyscreen an not closeable...The vent will let in as much cold air as you get heat from the fire so best get a proper fire or electric

again and again you read people who claim to know everything about flueless gas fires. as a gas safe engineer you are deemed to be installing safe products which do the job with no issues, ensuring you are working safely, flueless gas fires are safe, so long as they are installed correctly and are commisioned properly, 100 cm2 freeflow air, gas rate, tightness test, burner presure test, gas analysis test. if everything is as the manufacter states then its safe, ensure every year you get it serviced by a reliable engineer then there is no problem!!!

again and again you read people who claim to know everything about flueless gas fires. as a gas safe engineer you are deemed to be installing safe products which do the job with no issues, ensuring you are working safely, flueless gas fires are safe, so long as they are installed correctly and are commisioned properly, 100 cm2 freeflow air, gas rate, tightness test, burner presure test, gas analysis test. if everything is as the manufacter states then its safe, ensure every year you get it serviced by a reliable engineer then there is no problem!!!

Thats the point customers dont get them serviced every year, how many times have you been out to a open flued appliance where the vent has newspaper in side or they have some other way of blocking off the vent.

fitted one about 7yrs ago as a subby on a house refurb. never been asked to go back and service it tho! :eek:

i wouldnt have one in my house, if you decide to go for it, fit a decent Carbon monoxide detector in the same room, and i would buy a couple of canaries too......... :D just in case the batteries go dead and dont get replaced. :evil:

Thats the point customers dont get them serviced every year, how many times have you been out to a open flued appliance where the vent has newspaper in side or they have some other way of blocking off the vent.

I went to service back boiler the other day and the woman moved the cusion from infront of the vent as I walked into the lounge and said " I always move it when the fire is on"
"and what about the boiler? That doesn't need a vent does it?"

I've been looking at a flueless fire in B&Q and the room it goes in must have an air vent of 100cm2.
Is there a recommended position of the air vent (high level low level)? and can you get these from say B&Q.
B&Q do a 4" grille with flymesh in is this ok or must there be 100cm2 free area in which case a 6" grille would be needed.

First off, don't listen to the naysayers. One tragic death has occurred, but as a result of a manufacturing fault and an inept installer. More deaths have ocurred from any other heating appliance you care to mention, including woodburners.

Carefully sited vents DO NOT negate the high efficiency of a flueless fire.
However, your post suggests that you are going to DIY. This is clearly foolhardy, and as said, you MUST NOT use a vent with an flymesh. The one we use 9GAS 2H) is:
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/176.asp
which has a cowl on the outside and is much better quality than B&Q carp.

Also, do not buy a fire from B&Q and/or Focal Point, the service is dire.
Visit a proper gas fire showroom and do thr job properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back