Gas Fire -Flueless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was booked to install a gas fire this morning. Upon arrival at the property, I asked for the manufacturers instructions (as I always do). I read that this was a flueless fire, designed to be sited in an existing fireplace but that it required dedicated ventilation of 100cm2.

So, searching the room, I found no vent and stated to the customer that I was not willing to install the fire until this had been remedied. I also had a look at the intended site for the fire and upon measuring it up, rather a lot of extra work is required in order for the installation to meet current regulations.

The customer was upset that the fire could not be put into use today, but has accepted my quote for the work required and has booked me in to carry out the complete job.

She was a bit upset at the cost but after a little chat about the safety aspects, I think I persuaded her that it was worth getting it done properly.

I am sure that people just expect things to happen as if by magic and be able to pay buttons for it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
A lot of the guys on here won't fit flueless fires and you may have done yourself a favour by not fitting it. :)

If you do fit always insist on fitting co alarm, some manufactures recomend 2 vents one high & low, aslo the vent needs fitting some distance from the fire.

Sponsored Links
I NEVER would fit one, not even for £10000 :eek:

Death waitung to happen :rolleyes:

Although most of you on here would never have seen a flueless fire untill the recent cataylitic ones came on the seen .
30 years ago they where very popular and fitted mainly in hallways with no access to outside walls we had hundreds on contract and to be honest never had a problem with them.

Would i fit one now No , houses now are far more insulated with less air changes and adventious ventilation also these fires are far more powerful than anything in the past and we all know what customers do with vents.

No matter what we tell them they block them up which the majority of the time you will get away with with an open flued appliance but not with this size of flueless.
And why bother getting a fire that needs a vent that will let in nearly as much cold air as the fire produces hot.

Get a electric fire for effect or a little baxi 5000 stuck in a corner on an outside wall.

Right then. After much trawling of the interweb and a great deal of soul searching, I decided to call the customer this morning and tell her that I was no longer prepared to fit these types of fires.

Nothing had been signed, no work had been done and no cash had changed hands.

I may have upset my mate as he gave me the lead and the lady is a friend of his but if that's all that has gone wrong then I guess it's no great shakes.

Have I done the right thing?

I don't fit any fires any more. It's quite a lot of fiddling about. and nobody likes paying much to fit something which cost £130 in B&Q. I pass the work to a local fireplace shop, who give me the odd lead and are helpful if I need coals for DFE's, etc. They fit lots of fires so take half the time I do.

Flueless fires are expensive, so might stand a viable fitting charge. Sure I'd fit one, for the right ££ to get it right.

Yeah, had a look at that in the course of my deliberations on the matter.

Guess I did then :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back