Gas fire for apartment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm currently living in a ground floor apartment with gas fired central heating. The boiler for the heating is located in the kitchen.
I'd like to install a gas fire in the living room but because I live in an apartment I can't have any type of vent. Can anyone give me their opinions on the flueless gas fires that are available these days. I'd like to know peoples opinions on the safety, efficency and heat output of these fires.
Also what type of work would have to be done to install the fire in the living room given that gas is currently supplied to the kitchen.

Mick.

Sponsored Links
If you have a suitable outside wall then a balanced flued fire is perfectly safe. A site visit would be needed to ascertain all the installation details.
Small room, flueless fire, vent in wall, not the best option.

deathtraps; avoid like the plague.
[/i

here we go again! Absolute nonsense. A lot more people have died falling of a chair, and mor have died from ANY other gas appliance

Re: "not able to have a vent". Do you actually mean a "vent" or do you mean a flue? If you can't have any opening in any wal, then you can't have flueles or balanced. You are stuck with electric

Sponsored Links
deathtraps; avoid like the plague.
[/i

Here we go again! Absolute nonsense. A lot more people have died falling of a chair, and more have died from ANY other gas appliance

Re: "not able to have a vent". Do you actually mean a "vent" or do you mean a flue? If you can't have any opening in any wall, then you can't have flueless or balanced. You are stuck with electric

You mention the word efficiency!

Most gas fires give about 20% of the heat produced to heat the room.

That compares to about 90% with your central heating.

Can you explain just why you want an inefficient gas fire?

Tony

Agile";p="2125581 said:

Agile";p="2125581 said:

Tony, you may be up to speed on electronics, but you clearly no nothing about gas fires.

Our best selling fire is 60% efficient. We do HE fires with a glass front at 80/89% and of course fluless at 100%, but obviously this is diluted by the vent. But not nearly as badly as all the naysayers on here.

Your 20% figure relates to inset trays or baskets, which may strugggle to acheive the 20%, and, in fact, the better companies don't make ANY efficiency claims for them. We rarely sell them, and only after explaining that they are carp!

Expert
Its Yet again a central heating repairman giving ill informed opions on appliances they know fek all about. They know fek all about the basic job of fire installation and try and scare people because they dont have the intelligenge to fit a fire safely.

Hi
Thanks for all the replies. I can have a vent in the room just not a flue. The reason I wanted a gas fire in the room is because sometimes I just want to heat the one room rather than the whole apartment and also because I just like a fire in the living room.

Mick.

expertgasman";p="2125619 said:

Tony, you may be up to speed on electronics, but you clearly no nothing about gas fires.

Our best selling fire is 60% efficient. We do HE fires with a glass front at 80/89% and of course fluless at 100%, but obviously this is diluted by the vent. But not nearly as badly as all the naysayers on here.

Your 20% figure relates to inset trays or baskets, which may strugggle to acheive the 20%, and, in fact, the better companies don't make ANY efficiency claims for them. We rarely sell them, and only after explaining that they are carp!

who is this clown :rolleyes:

kevplumb";p="2126029 said:

who is this clown :rolleyes:
kevplumb";p="2126029 said:
What, pray, have I said to so disturb you, Kev?

There must be a small round flue for the boiler.

What is the problem with the same for a gas fire???
A balanced flue gas fire is the ideal choice.

I dislike the flueless gas fires some will require a large vent
in the wall just a big as the balance flue of the gas fire.

Failing this electric fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back