Recessed Gas Fire - which type ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to fit a recessed type gas fire with glass window into a wooden/plasterboard type box as seen on some TV shows.

My lounge has no fireplace and only one wall to mount a fire with access through a outside wall. Heating in the house solely rely on radiators.

Would like to mount a recessed gas fire into a constructed timber frame like a chimney breast and let it vent through the wall to the outside or use a flueless type fire, either type as a feature in the room and maybe a TV mounted above the fire.

Which type should I look at as far exhaust venting and air intake needs etc.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
If a Flueless model was used, could the vent/air brick be within the false breast holding the fire.

I think there are different mounting/securing methods depending on what type you get. You say inset so I presume you mean the ones that you could put in the place where a coal fire may have been. You need to look at specific models to see what the measurements and mounting criteria are. I'm not sure but those that have 'coals' in them have different characteristics to those that have 'logs'(The quote marks are to denote they are not actual coals or logs but false, manufactured ones which don't actually burn).

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
If a Flueless model was used, could the vent/air brick be within the false breast holding the fire.

No.

The vent must be 1m away from the fire. If you had a wide chimney breast, I suppose you could duct it within the "boxing", to terminate 1M from the fire "as the crow flies". The outlet (inside the house) must be outside of the fake chimney breast.

Looking to fit a recessed type gas fire with glass window into a wooden/plasterboard type box as seen on some TV shows.

My lounge has no fireplace and only one wall to mount a fire with access through a outside wall. Heating in the house solely rely on radiators.

Would like to mount a recessed gas fire into a constructed timber frame like a chimney breast and let it vent through the wall to the outside or use a flueless type fire, either type as a feature in the room and maybe a TV mounted above the fire.

Which type should I look at as far exhaust venting and air intake needs etc.

thanks

TV: Consult the fire AND the TV instructions. The fire will come to no harm, but I suspect your TV warranty may be an issue.

A flueless fire, especially, generates a lot of heat above the fire, and I would be surprised if any TV or Fire maker would approve. A balanced flue fire is also likely to be a risk to a TV. Again, consult instructions.

Flueless or Balanced?: Flueless fires are technically 100% efficient, but that does not take into account the additional heat loss via the vent. The vent can also cause discomfort, resulting in a temptation to block or restrict it. balanced flue fires are still very efficient, and would be my choice assuming the terminal position is suitable. No vent is required.

Thanks guys.
Currently I have no fire of any kind, no chimney or breast just a flat wall.
The wall where I thinking of putting a fire, is an outside wall.
The fire would be a feature oblong type with a log burning effect.
The breast would be constructed with a timber frame, covered with plaster board and large stone effect type tiles.
The false breast would be large enough to have a vent/air brick approx 1 metre away from the fire if flueless inside the breast construction. If that is within the regulations.
As for the TV mounted above the fire, its seen to be done in magazines and building shows on TV.
Trying to get a general view/ideas before approaching any manufacturer/agent.
Thanks

IMO the ones with a glass front and balanced flue are very unconvincing (though economical)

there are some styles to resemble iron woodburning stoves that look pretty good.

I wouldn't have a flueless, even though the number of people and pets they kill is fairly small.

Do you need it to heat the room? If not you can get nice electric fires now which are pretty realistic.

You could have the electric one lit up, lamps only, for effect. With gas fires you usually need to have them on, burning gas, for effect.

Thanks all,
Reading more into this, I think its going to be an electric log burning type feature.
The brain seeing this alone will have a warm soothing effect not needing any heat from it, as we dont have any heating issues of the room with the radiators.
Think just seeing the flickering of a fire is relaxing enough without balanced flues or flueless etc.
Thanks

On a similar vein, I wouldn't put a TV above a fire. I want my TV to be at the same level as my head is when I am sitting.
Funny you say that, I have a friend who is a GP and he says the amount of patients he sees with neck and back pain , and he reckons it is because they have TVs on the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back