Gas Fire Flue blocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My house was built in the 1980's and had a gas fire installed in the living room with a metal flue that goes up to loft and vents through a ridge tile vent.
We had the gas removed and capped years ago and are about to revamp the living room and want to remove the fire place that was installed, replacing it with a small stud wall (fake thin chimney breast to mount the TV onto and hide the cables behind etc.
As its not really a chimney do i still need to vent all this?
I would be happy to block up where the fireplace is currently, just want to make sure I don't create any issues. The flue is easily accessible in the loft, so could do something there also if needed.

Any ideas? TIA

Sponsored Links
I’d say it’s a liner, but I’d say it still needs venting. If it’s on an external wall, could you position the vent externally?

It is common practice for pre cast clues to be boarded over by the original builders, the boarding is then removed by a gas installer of a gas fire is desired. If not, the board is left in place and you are, more often than not, left with a gas pipe sticking out of a blank wall.

That, to me, suggests that you do not need to worry about ventilation.

As a side note, is the metal flue in the loft actually a “liner”. A liner can be identified by ridges and is flexible. It is only allowed INSIDE a flue. If it is smooth and rigid, it will be, generally, twin wall.

Give us a pic of the flue/builders opening inside the room and upstairs in the loft and how it connects to the ridge terminal.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in replying but had an unexpected death in the family. I will get some pictures in the next few days and post them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back