Blocking up a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a new build type home, 13years old and it has a pre-cast flue type chimney and will only accept certain types of gas fires. The chimney only accepts the typical brass style fake coal gas fires. These types of gas fires aren't to my taste so i'm looking to replace it.

My wall has a fake chimney breast which measured to be 13.5cm deep from the original studded wall. Removing the gas fire reveals a hole which is 25.5 cm deep. This hole that houses the fire is a concrete style / breeze block hole. Above the fire where the fumes/smoke goes is a letter box hole which is 8cm deep and starts from the very back of the main hole coming inwards by 8cm. I assume this is the actual pre cast flue which runs up to the roof behind the studded wall and upstairs behind the bedroom studded wall and into the pipe in the loft which leads to the roof.

My questions are, am i safe to assume that this flue is indeed behind the studded walls?

If so, would it be safe to remove the fake chimney breast? - this involves knocking down what i think is a wooden frame with plasterboard AND cutting away the breeze block type material which currently houses the fire. I would cut this material back so it is inline with the origonal back studded wall

After cutting back the breeze block could i think just cover up the hole with plasterboard and add any other plasterboard needed to ensure the wall lines up with its original studded wall. I would then get a plasterer in to match up the origonal wall with the new removed chimney breast plaster board.

In a new build is it possible to remove this fake chimney breasts with the pre cast concrete flue housing and is it safe to just cover them up with plasterboard?

The ultimate plan is to create a flat wall by removing the fake chimney breast and install a Gazco contemporary gas stove as a balanced flue system to the outside wall.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It seems a little complicated but as far as I can interpret your proposals dont have any gas safety issues.

All you need to do is to ensure the top part of the chimney is capped AND ventilation is provided to the lower part where a cavity exists.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back