DIY False Chimney Breast Woes..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, we have a flue box in an outside wall, with a flue going all the way to a ridge tile.. (No chimney breast)

The old fire was stood 10cm from the wall (Free standing), it had a rectangular 'tube' that slotted into a taped on Flue Cover that covered the whole flue box entrance with a square hole at the bottom (assume to allow air in)..

Now, the missus decided that she would love a chimney breast instead of just a flat wall, so I looked at how the old fire was connected, looked at some fires in B&Q, saw that some where suitable for flue boxes, and had the same rectangluar (or round) tubes that I assumed would be cut to length and slot into a taped on flue box cover as per the old fire.. so in my 'wisdom' I built what is effectively a facard of a chimney breast out of block with a metal lintel over the opening..

This is where I think I have fallen down, I assumed that because any new fire would effectively be sealed at the wall flue box, the fact the chimney breast is just an 'open' structure didn't matter.. so just made the breast entry hole quite large as it's I thought nothing 'seals' to the opening of the breast, it doesn't matter..

Having just had a builder around to quote for removing a load bearing wall, and plastering up a few bits and pieces including the chimney breast, they somewhat laughed at the chimney breast saying the hole was far too big and it's not sealed etc.. I pointed out my logic of the fire just being 'free standing' and sealed at the fluebox on the wall, and the chimney breast is just like a large fire surround, but they just shook their heads..

So I assume I've missed something subtle (to me at least)..

Your comments/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Having just had a builder around .. they somewhat laughed at the chimney breast saying the hole was far too big and it's not sealed etc..
What do builder's know? Get a proper Corgi in, someone who knows about gas fires and flues.

You say you've been to B&Q to look at fires etc. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure you make a decent job when you are DIYing but.... PLEASE Don't try and put a gas fire in yourself.

I can ALMOST forgive someone for 'having a go' with a room sealed appliance (I said ALMOST forgive, before you all start having a go), but messing with gas fires can equal nasty things. And I'm talking about your health not the look of the job.

Do you know how to calculate the possible ventilation requirements? Is your current ventilation (if any) to current standards? Do you know/understand how to gas rate the appliance, carry out a Flue Flow test and Spillage test? Can you test the FSD/ASD?

Take Chris' advice to the letter... get a Corgi in.

I would love to see this.

Please post a picture, and then watch all the replies roll in ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm not keen on photos of false breasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back