Removal of pre cast flue gather and starter blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of creating a new chimney breast for large hole in the wall fire. I have removed old gas fire and surround and taken down the old breeze block chimney breast that was built out to the same depth as the gather. I now want to remove the starter blocks and the gather so that everything is back to the cavity wall then block up the old opening so it becomes a flat wall I can fix my new fire back to and then install the balanced flue straight out through the old precast flue. My question is will i need to support this old flue while i block it up? Will i be best putting a lintel in first and blocking it up after that? House was built in 1995 if that helps as to what sort of flue it could be.
Any help greatly appreciated!

IMG_6082.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG

Sponsored Links
Your best bet would be to ask in building section? but I wouldn't remove the opening obviously as them blocks above are resting on it or so it looks.

Hi.

Thanks for reply. I've asked in building section as well. It does look as though the blocks aren't tied in to the cavity wall. Can't believe I can't find anything on the internet about removal of these blocks!

I'd support them - there is no tie in and there appears to be minimal support from the surrounding wall. A strongboy/acro prop will be enough while you are removing them.

If you remove the flue up to ceiling then ensure that you block the remaining section - otherwise it forms a chimney which will allow fire to spread into the roofspace.

If you remove the metal flue section in the roofspace from the pre-cast flue blocks then be careful - there is usually an asbestos rope sealing the metal section to the block.

PS - I'd move the table away from the right-hand side of the works before you go any further!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. I'll probably leave the flue in the loft space and the opening down stairs will be bricked up but from what I have read elsewhere I will need to put a vent in to stop condensation in the old flue? I am core drilling through the flue for my balanced flue and there will be a gap around that so hoping that will be good enough ventilation otherwise I will put a vent in before I board up the new chimney breast

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back