What gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just about to replace a living room gas fire which is a balanced flue type. The house was built in 1980 has cavity walls and does not have a chimney. The question i have is this the only type of gas fire we can have installed.

Sponsored Links
No.

You could build a false chimney and have a metal flue and fluebox installed,this would mean you would have the choice of almost any gas fire available or...

...you could install a Flueless gas fire(Burley)if your room meets the required conditions.These require the room to be of a certain size and also need a permanent air vent installed.Very few of the Gas Installers here will recommend this option,due to what they see as safety issues.

There used to be a few power flue gas fires available,where a small(ish)flue is run along the skirting to exit at an outside wall.I`m not sure they are still available though.

...you could install a Flueless gas fire. Very few of the Gas Installers here will recommend this option,due to what they see as safety issues.

Only fit one of these if you value saving money over the safety of yourself and your family. I would never recommend one of these contraptions.

There are very good reasons why many installers won't touch them with a bargepole.

There are very good reasons why many installers won't touch them with a bargepole.

but surely if the room meets the sizing requierments an air vent it fitted it is installed and commissioned correctly to m,i and regs and it serviced and maintained reguarly they are safe or otherwise they wouldnt be on the market

Sponsored Links
and it serviced and maintained reguarly they are safe or otherwise they wouldnt be on the market

That's just the problem. How many gas fires are serviced regularly, if at all?

You may get away with inadequate servicing on a normal gas fire, but not on these. Not worth the risk.

Minimum room size 30 m/3 100cm/2 air vent the vent is going to cause a draught, which the householder could (and probably would!) block up resulting in a potentially deadly situation I cannnot think of a single reason to install one of these horrendous fires!! :rolleyes:

Only fit one of these if you value saving money over the safety of yourself and your family. I would never recommend one of these contraptions.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to those blasted motor automobiles, dangerous and smelly, they should be banned!

Flueless fires have a far better safety record than any other gas appliance, but it is all well documented and some dinosaurs are convinced that power flushing does't work better than a quick washout.

. Anyway, to answer the question, visit a proper gas fireplace showroom. You have an existing balanced flue fire, does the terminal project out of the wall nearer than 500mm to your neighbours boundary? assuming NOT, you can choose from:

Outset balanced, a bit clumpy for modern tastes

Inset balanced

Power flue. Power flues occasionally suffer from a draught when turned off. Look at Paragon, they have an optional draught saver, which is a flap which positively closes off the outlet when off.

flueless. drawback is the requirement for a vent. But use a shrouded vent and site it intelligently to minimise nuisance

Thanks for all the replies, looking at the points that have been made, there is no way i would be putting a vent in the living room, what a handy device that would be in winter time. Building a chimney sounds a good idea which would certainly open up the choice of fire but we dont have the room. I seem to remember the power flue fires last time we were changing fire some time back, i will take a look on the net see what available.

roguetrader, cant beat a gas fire for warming one room up.

expertgasman What is the difference between Outset balanced and Inset balanced. I do think the visit to a showroom is a definite route to try.

All this used to be so simple when a mate worked for Robinson Willey but redundancy called.

I seem to remember the power flue fires last time we were changing fire some time back, i will take a look on the net see what available.

expertgasman What is the difference between Outset balanced and Inset balanced. I do think the visit to a showroom is a definite route to try.

All this used to be so simple when a mate worked for Robinson Willey but redundancy called.[/quote]

Inset is chopped into wall, or you have a deep mantle, outset sits ON the walll, but is obvioulsy more old fashioned.

Try to stick with Paragon C/w optional Heat Saver fan.

See page 12:
http://www.paragonfires.co.uk/media/Downloads/6570 PAR OpenFlameBro_v9 LO RES.pdf

They are also available as "hole in the wall"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back