What Type of Gas Fire???????

SBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace a coal fire with a flush fitting wall mounted gas fire

Although this will be done by suitably qualified engineers I initially need to know what types of gas fire will be suitable in order to make a choice.
Any guidance will be most appreciated
Barry

Sponsored Links
I would like to replace a coal fire with a flush fitting wall mounted gas fire

Although this will be done by suitably qualified engineers I initially need to know what types of gas fire will be suitable in order to make a choice.
Any guidance will be most appreciated
Barry

Suitable for what?

I like the Valor Petrus range, better efficiency, quality build, a bit dearer but hey.....or do you mean you want a hole in the wall fire?

Sponsored Links
Hi Bolshy thanks for the reply.
"A hole in the wall" thats the first time I have heard that phrase but on reflection I think you are right, I would like to fit the modern gas fire into the recess of the old coal fire
Thank you
Barry

ValorHomeflameEminence250.jpg

That sort of thing? Or an standard inset fire?

Fireman T
I don't uderstand your question
Barry
I don't have enough info to understand yours! There are hundreds, if not thousands of fire models and their variants - but you haven't indicated how old your house is, size of room, preference of style and so on. In short, you may as well google "gas fires"

Thanks gas112 I have noted the url, bolshy that is the pattern but what I need to know is what type can I fit into the coal fire recess. I often hear terms like “balanced flue” and other similar expressions quoted which obviously refer to the flue without understanding their meaning.
Cheers
Barry

Basically, most inset gas fires have an open flue. When working correctly they draw combustion air from the room they are in and the products of combustion are removed by being drawn up the chimney to outside. Some fires require additional combustion air to be provided through a wall vent connected to outside air.
Balanced flue gas fires take their combustion air from outside and return the combustion products to outside via a flue which passes through an outside wall at the back of the fire. Some are fan assisted (power flue). Some are flueless, using catalyser filters, but these again require additional vents for combustion air.

• Thanks
Reactions: SBW
bolshy,
Great post!
So much content in so few words.
Thanks,
Barry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back