No chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to fit a gas fire in the lounge of my new house but the top half of the chimney that passes through the bedroom above has been removed. The house is a 1930's semi and the chimney breast is on the ajoining wall. I've read that flueless gas fires have to have a vent at the rear of the fire but is there any thing on the market which will still enable me to fit a gas fire.

Sponsored Links
i wasnt aware that for flueless fires that the vent had to be in the actual fireplace as some nowadays are put in the middle of rooms etc...

however im assuming its for decor purposes only as the permanent ventilation these things require is quite high.

Most sites I have looked at mention a vent but are a bit unclear. I've emailed a couple of manufacturers so hopefully will get a clearer answer.

Sponsored Links
All flueless fires need a vent, normally 100 cm sqaured same as a D.F.E. fire.

Vent must not be in chimney. Best in outside wall.

They have a very low blue flame (approx 1cm) that runs along the metal guide at the bottom. Often the flame is not evenly distributed so looks asymetrical which might bother you esthetically but doesn't affect perfromance.

The house will suffer more than usual from condensation, and it will be more drafty than usual.

Wo! But what is someone with only heating doing fitting fires? Fires are far more dangerous than boilers.

Our thoughts must go to the family after this tragic event.
However, are we now to believe that manufacturers are allowed to make appliances that in the event the gas pressure is too great either by negligence or perhaps a faulty meter govenor the appliance could actually kill someone ?
Whatever happened to fail safe.
I have never liked these appliances and do not sell or fit them.
At least with a flued appliance if the fitter is at fault or more usually I find that the appliance has never been serviced the fumes the build up of soot and possibly CO is drawn away up the chimney.
These Flueless fires are a risk not worth taking for me.

Very worrying tale.
The guy WAS qualified to fit boilers, and therefore BACK boilers which have a fire on the front, no?

At first I asked -What the heck happened to the ODS/oxypilot/vitiation device? It should have put the fire OUT before the house filled with CO?
But no - it detects lack of oxygen, which is not the same thing as excess CO. So there is no safeguard against bad burning, if the catalyst fails.

The manufacturer should be in the dock as well.

I won't be fitting ony of those then, and I'll press for a proper CO alarm in any place I see them.

personally i feel the whole 'vitiation devices' are a bit dated nowadays, especially on something thats flueless. it even sounds dangerous!
CO detectors should be compulsery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back