Block off an internal chimney vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in my 1930's house both upstairs bedrooms used to have fire places. In both of the rooms there are vents just above the skirting board covering the old fire places. The vents are white plastic and about 30 x 30cm and can be opened.

I am refurbishing the rooms and wondering if can block these vents?

To give more context: If you imagine a typical 1930's property - two downstairs reception rooms with fire places (now gas) and above those two bedrooms with fire places (were also converted to gas at some point). Externally there are two chimneys with external breasts, one for the front rooms and one for the back rooms, with two "pots" on the top of each one. I'm guessing 1 pot is for the upstairs room and 1 for the downstairs on each one.

If I can't completely block up the vents in the bedrooms could I fit a smaller airbrick or vent?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Another idea - could I put an external air brick?

Sponsored Links
Is that something I could do? I would be worried if I remove a brick externally the whole thing would collapse!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back