Micro bore gas pipe,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone confirm what this is called ?

It's been used to link between the dec gas fire and the feed on to the gas.

The feed is 15mm to 8mm copper reducer and then this tube is simply pushed over the 8mm copper reducer by 30mm or so.

Is gas fitting really that simple and does the pipe not require a jubilee clip over it or some sort of bonding ?

So how does it work ? Do the inner fins provide some type of seal ?

Another question, is it available in all gas feed sizes such as 15mm and 22mm ?

Questions, questions, questions............ Thanks for any help.

Rgds

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's the SLEEVING which has been taken OFF a pre-sleeved gas pipe which is designed for use with some fires. The ribs are designed to let gas out IF the pipe has a leak so you can smell it. It's NOT a gas pipe by itself!!

fredb.jpg

Its Wild West Gas Services again.....I'm not sure even a cowboy would do that though. Looks more DIY to me, but I stand to be corrected.

Alfredo

What colour is the plastic? I am tending to agree with Chris.

Plastic covered copper pipe is the one that must be used for fire connection.

Chris is (obviously) correct, it is a sleeve off a presleeved tube. this tube can be used through walls without further sleeving, as opposed to normal factory covered tube.

Having said that, I beleive the post MUST be a wind up. Theres no way that the sleeve can be pushed onto 8mm tube and not p*** out gas. The channels are there to ALLOW the passage of gas!

Plastic coated copper tube with air channels in the plastic coating. To BS 2871 : Part 1 : Table W, annealed (EN 1057 soft). Kitemarked.
Colour: white.
Part No. Description Unit Price Qty
7358 25 m x 8 mm (0.6 mm wall) £33.60
7359 25 m x 10 mm (0.7 mm wall) £50.40

© Copyright B.E.S Limited
B.E.S is best viewed with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or better

Not a wind up at all.

I might have viewed in incorrectly under the floor.

Last year I had a new fire fitted and the tube sleeve I pictured was found while I was doing some underfloor rewiring on Weds.

There's a 15mm gas copper service feed sub floor, this then has a reducer and then the pipe / sleeve runs up to the fire.

Here's a picture of the fire end of the pipe.

I got a British guy to do the work and I got posted a Gas Safe ticket, so the work was / should have been done correctly.

Looking at the other end it appears (to my eyes) to be a microbore pipe with a sleeve, and the sleeve I found was (maybe) the stuff taken off to allow the connection on to the 15mm main gas feed.

Does anyone agree, or is it something that is wrong and needs remedials ?[/img]

a picture tells a thousand words
a thousand words can tell bol***ks

The pipe is fine. But, thinking about it, if you were so concerned, why consult a forum?

If in any doubt about agas leak phone Transco, or whatever they are called at he time. They may be carp,but they'll make safe.

Having re read Chris' post, there may be one deficiency. typically, only appox 1 metre of 8mm tube is allowed. I always run 15mm into the FPO, then reducw to 8mm. Apart rom pressure loss, it is easy to kink 8mm tube, (say, on servicing) so my reducer is ALWAYS in accessible position

I've just had a new gasfire installed and I noticed a kink in the pipe, is it safe or should a new length of pipe have been put on?
Having re read Chris' post, there may be one deficiency. typically, only appox 1 metre of 8mm tube is allowed. I always run 15mm into the FPO, then reducw to 8mm. Apart rom pressure loss, it is easy to kink 8mm tube, (say, on servicing) so my reducer is ALWAYS in accessible position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back