Soldering Gas pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
To original poster:

Why not just use either a large company such as BG who can be held accountable for any mistakes, or a small local guy who can provide you with references? Or ask to see some of their work.

These are quite basic hints, and I am sure that if you were genuinely concerned about safety that you would have done this already. It looks to me like you are just trying to save money with DIY gas.

It really is not worth it.

Or if you want to save money and still be safe you could ring a reputable local guy, ask him if he would be happy to do the final connections to boiler & gas meter, and then just run the pipe yourself, starting a foot or so before the meter and terminating before the boiler. Your CORGI installer would have to OK the route / size etc of pipe first though and he would obviously test it after...

Sponsored Links
it will be alright my grandads brother stan used a lighter to check for leaks... (a joke by the way)

ACOperson said:
Or if you want to save money and still be safe you could ring a reputable local guy, ask him if he would be happy to do the final connections to boiler & gas meter, and then just run the pipe yourself, starting a foot or so before the meter and terminating before the boiler.

It would be possible for him to cut, clip, clean and prepare the joints for soldering after the pipe sizes have been calculated by the CORGI. However, the gas has to be turned off and capped first and all joints have to be personally soldered by the CORGI and the whole system pressure tested by the approved method.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Personally I have never liked gas. This was reinforced at a property I have just refurbished. A new gas meter was fitted and when the gasman had left I smelt gas. I called the emergency line and a gasman returned some days later and did some tests and declared it safe. Shortly after I was selling the property and called my Corgiman to service the boiler and issue a new certificate. When I asked about the obvious leak his test showed a leak just within tolerance. The reason? The gas board man had not tighted the output connection on the meter. The moral is: get a proper Corgiman and dont rely on Gas Board Cowboys.[/code]

maltaron said:
Personally I have never liked gas. This was reinforced at a property I have just refurbished. A new gas meter was fitted and when the gasman had left I smelt gas. I called the emergency line and a gasman returned some days later and did some tests and declared it safe. Shortly after I was selling the property and called my Corgiman to service the boiler and issue a new certificate. When I asked about the obvious leak his test showed a leak just within tolerance. The reason? The gas board man had not tighted the output connection on the meter. The moral is: get a proper Corgiman and dont rely on Gas Board Cowboys.[/code]

And another morale is......

Report the cr*p RGI for leaving a leak in the installation pipework.

Your Corgi man is not very competent as if you smell gas, their is NO tolerence.

Pressure drops can be permissable from 4 to 8 millibars depending on the gas meter installed...but with NO SMELL OF GAS.

Once customer reports a smell, no pressure drop is permissable!

Dave

maltaron said:

a rather confusing account of your gas leak. :confused:

is the "gas board" you refer to the national emergency service in your area?

is the "corgiman" an RGI or a representative of CORGI itself?

what was the timescale between you having the installation rechecked by the "gasman" and the time your "corgiman" found a leak?

you dont mention if there was any recorded drop after the "gasman" had rechecked it.

you dont mention if there was any smell of gas when your "corgiman" did the certificate test.

Agile said:
ACOperson said:
It would be possible for him to cut, clip, clean and prepare the joints for soldering after the pipe sizes have been calculated by the CORGI. However, the gas has to be turned off and capped first and all joints have to be personally soldered by the CORGI and the whole system pressure tested by the approved method.

Tony

Where have you cited this from?

The way I was saying he could do it was not touching any gas related services, having a CORGi come in & plan the job, then customer prepares & solders like any pipe (mains, CH etc), then CORGI comes back in and visually inspects & pressure tests his work, then CORGI connects to gas meter & boiler.

As I said, for the customer to do this work the CORGI would have to OK route of pipe, clipping, and all of the other bits that a CORGI would do as a matter of course.

I know a couple of installers who give customers large discounts if the customer can actually do the pipework themselves, including the gas run, as long as it is the CORGI engineer that plans it etc.

besenzig said:
Please advise where I am going wrong anywhere in the process...thank you

I wait with baited breath :LOL:

I don't know the codes in your area on the planet but in most civilized areas using an open flame on a gas line even with the gas turned off can be highly dangerous.

Also one does not just pick a size of piping and think it will be of proper size as gas piping is predicated on developed length and BTU INPUT of the appliances .

Also self cleaning fluxes do contain some type of acid in the flux to remove oxidation and if the joints are not properly soldered /cleaned then an explosion will take place.

Even think that there are licensing laws and codes for a reason?

tieger this post is a year old so i would hope that they didnt blow up after all

:)

Give him his due Corgiman . the yanks normally turn up 2 years late so 1 year is an improvement :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back