Soldering Gas pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 22mm copper pipe running from the meter under the floor which branches off into a 15mm feed for the front room gas fire. Still in 22mm it continues and branches off to feed the hob in 15mm and then on to the boiler also in 15mm.

I plan to resite the boiler and need to branch off with a 22x22x15 reducing tee in a yorkshire fitting and fit a 15mm suplly to the new location before the floor goes on and whilst most pipes are still accessible.. Thats what I wanted to do and this is how I propose to do it.

Turn off the supply at the meter, open all outlets to purge the pipes of any gas. Cut into the 22mm copper pipe and solder the new 22x22x15 fitting with a new length of 15mm to the new location. Please advise if this method is ok or should I also disconnect the supply at the meterr. Also is there any particular flux/solder I should use as I understand some fluxes can corrode. At the end I plan to test for leaks using a can of gas leak spray. Please advise where I am going wrong anywhere in the process...thank you

I

Sponsored Links
besenzig said:
Please advise where I am going wrong anywhere in the process...thank you

By even contemplating doing your own gas pipe work. :eek: Apart from the sound of it your pipe sizes are too small to feed the boiler, your method and testing contravenes nearly all gas regs and I doubt anyone will instruct you how to do it on here. Sorry.

Get a corgi in, or a good tv aerial that will pick up tele on the moon :eek:

Edit, gotta be a wind up aint it :rolleyes: :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think he means it, he's already posted the same thing on screwfix forum and been told in no uncertain terms, but doesn't want to listen.

Perhaps its someone checking up on us from rogue traders or house of horrors for a tv special. I'd better polish me bald spot for the cameras :LOL:

Looking at his old posts I have to agree that I think he is genuine.

He will be cybering his way to plumbingpages.com as we type. (If they aint dealt with him already)

Dave :rolleyes:

whilst at uni, we had a new boiler fitted by the landlord. BG used the OP's method of installation and testing. although he used a candle to check for leaks! :eek:
He didn't even bother to do pressure tests before or after.

I think this dangerous numb nuts tosspot has already asked this stupid question at screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=61525&tstart=0

Listen Dangerous Beans your going to get the same answers here as you got there

you are a fool and worse than that your a dangerous thoughtless fool

I would mind you blowing yourself up its the other people you may harm who are innocent that concern me

Corgiman....thank you for your comments....yes I have posted the same question at Screwfix so you would have seen my comment that the last CORGI registerd man left me with a leak at the gas fire. I too had the same opinion of him as you have of me, he too was a Dangerous Tosspot, but it was me who had to tighten the nut he left loose.

Now you will perhaps understand my reluctance to use so called registered competent installers. even SOME of these turn out to be cowboys too worthy to be on the telly.

Thanks again

Can you back up your last comment?

Registration number?
Have you reported him?

Thats what CORGI are there for.

The hole point of corgi is making people accountable for there work, Setting a standard to work from.Whats the hole point of having a system in place and note the best in europe , if billy wombat thinks stuff it ill do it myself save a few quid. (Stop the world he wants to get off)

Wait 'till he gets a bill from Transco (SGN?) for blowing up the meter. :eek: A CORGI would have been cheap compared with that. :LOL:

Soggy_weetabix, second your motion. Would be interesting to see if poster comes forth with details (if not could it just be an excuse). If RGI is not working to a prescribed standard, he should be brought to account before he kills someone.

besenzig said:
Corgiman....thank you for your comments....yes I have posted the same question at Screwfix so you would have seen my comment that the last CORGI registerd man left me with a leak at the gas fire. I too had the same opinion of him as you have of me, he too was a Dangerous Tosspot, but it was me who had to tighten the nut he left loose.

Now you will perhaps understand my reluctance to use so called registered competent installers. even SOME of these turn out to be cowboys too worthy to be on the telly.

Thanks again

Iam sorry to hear that you have been affected by the MINORITY of RGI's that dont know their arrse from their elbow, unfortunatley every trade/profession has them

but as has been said you should have reported him immeadiatley and in not doing so you have allowed him to go on and endanger other people, shame on you.

This however is, lucklily, the exception rather than the rule and an experianced professional RGI WILL ensure that the pipe is in good order for its purpose and the installation is up to standard

Doing it yourself is stupidity of the first order as you do not have the training to ensure that what you have done is safe (let alone correct)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back