New Brick Skin over Bradstone block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have approval to extend my bungalow (additional floor 1.5 story). The old Bungalow is built out of a buff bradstone block, I have heard it is difficult to render. So am looking for advice on the possibility to create a new skin over the house (and extension) out of either a natural stone or brickwork. The bungalow was built in the 1960s, I have the plans when it was built and it shows it has a strip foundation 24" by 9". Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Another skin is an expensive option.
Ewi is one option or EML then render is another if you want a render finish and don't need building regs.

You'll need to work out if you need to upgrade the thermal resistance of your walls. Then expose the foundation to see if you have enough room to build off.

Thanks Thomfe

I will be getting quotes in the new year, initially thought about render but read various threads about the difficulty rendering over the buff Bradstone block work. The bungalow walls currently have a cavity, that over the last couple of years has had cavity wall insulation. I will check about the thermal resistance and the foundation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back