New British Gas programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - wondered if anyone had any info on this new type of programmer BG are fitting now?

WP_20151117_13_53_00_Pro.jpg

Looks and works a bit like the Hive but not as intelligent - little bit clunky setting the schedule for it (only got left with mini 'How to use...' booklet), so wondered if some can ID the make/model so I can see if there are any more instructions out there for it.

Have taken a look at the ID sticker and all it says is 'Model-DCP' with a description of Dual Channel Programmer...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This model is made solely for Bg.

Unlike their old models which were rebranded Drayton.

What would you like to know?
You should have been left with user instructions, call the call centre and they will sort out some instructions or send someone out to sort and issue some instructions (it's what u pay for)

Thanks both for the confirm. Had a quick run-through from the engineer that fitted it yesterday but the unit was new to him too, so blind leading blind a bit...

Things I've found odd with it are:

1) When setting a schedule it seems you have to stick to the 6 blocks of time, even if you only want one period set up (I work from home most days so don't want it turning off). Looks like the Hive does the same thing from their vids - not a show-stopper, but seems daft to me that you can't change the number of blocks of time available to less than 6...

2) Unlike the old UP2 unit, there's no (obvious) option to change from 'Off/Timed/Once/On' at the single press of a button. Only way to change is go into the menu and switch from the schedule to 'Always On' or 'Always/Off' - a retro step as far as I'm concerned.

3) A single click of the central knob brings up the option to override the schedule - but it only allows you to control the heating, so seems a pretty pointless option. At the moment the only way of turning on the hot water temporarily seems to be to go into the schedule setting (a ball-ache to do regularly) or using the 'Boost' buttons (probably the preferred 'new' way of doing it?)​

It's probably just me having problems switching to a new unit with little or no guidance - I do love a manual to read! - so I'll no doubt eventually get used to it - until that one goes wrong and we have to switch to a Hive!! ;)

Sponsored Links
They're brand new that's why. Using up the old stock of Draytons before sending them out.

To set less blocks just set the start and finish times for that block to the same. It'll then just ignore it.

Tried that but it doesn't work - closest you can set the next block to the previous one is 15 mins away, so you can never get rid of it completely.

Weird, you can do it on the Hive thermostats when you first set up, you set the first on off period then it asks if you want a second then asks if you want a third. Have you tried doing "Start Over" instead of Edit?

If you've got the booklet called "How to use your programmer" then you've got as much as is available. The installation instructions are just about mounting it and the wiring behind.

Just checked on my hive and if you edit then you can't change the times to the same as you described but start over allows you to have less than 3 on periods. I'm sure they work the same, yours is effectively a Wired Hive with a separate thermostat instead of wireless and all in one (plus Internet).

Your radiators arent going to get cold in 15 minutes.

It mightceven save you some money.

Not true. They're here: https://www.hivehome.com/user-guides

Scroll down to 'How to Use Hive Active Heating' and it's the fourth video (far right).
Hive is owned by British Gas for a start. And the OP didn't even have a Hive, just a dual channel programmer. It's operation is similar but not the same. I'm sure nearly a year later he has got used to it.

Can I have the hot water on three times a day? I have tried but the most I am getting is two times a day any tips?

Last edited:
Can Anyone advise: My unit is set to 6:15 to 22:00 every day for both HW and CH, But if I look at it in the middle of the night I have noticed that the HW is ON. It doesn't appear in the settings at these times c 01:15 and 02:00 so why is it doing it.

Another trivial factor about this device over my previous one: I have to manually set the time in Settings. My previous unit picked up the time itself. Does this mean that if we have a power failure I Lose the time?

Thanks for any advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back