New build loft flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am due to purchase a new build shared ownership property very soon.

I have not been right into the loft as my ladder was not long enough, but like most new builds, it has a very thick layer of insulation.
I don't want to void any warranties, but could really do with boarding a small amount of the loft for two suitcases and a couple of Christmas boxes. Probably looking at no more than 2sm.

I managed to get a picture from below the loft which gives an idea of the thickness of the insulation.
loft.jpg

I was thinking of getting a pack of raised loft boarding stilts. Does anyone know if these would be ok, and if this is an easy enough job to do based on the small area I am looking to create?

I was thinking of getting stiles something like this - not this exact model, just to give an idea of what I mean...
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p4...=44016&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkZfLBRCzg-69tJy84N8BEiQA

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes that's OK but it would be better to fit some joists perpendicular on top of your existing ceiling joists as the load will be spread much more evenly, there are hundreds of threads in the flooring section of the forum that address this requirement.

If you've no intention of standing up inside the loft, 3 layers of cardboard (from moving boxes) laid on top of the insulation seems to work well for light things like suitcases and Xmas decs, that's what the previous owners of my house did anyway!

Yes that's OK but it would be better to fit some joists perpendicular on top of your existing ceiling joists as the load will be spread much more evenly, there are hundreds of threads in the flooring section of the forum that address this requirement.
Don't know if I would be capable of doing that, it might be out of my skillset!

Sponsored Links
If you've no intention of standing up inside the loft, 3 layers of cardboard (from moving boxes) laid on top of the insulation seems to work well for light things like suitcases and Xmas decs, that's what the previous owners of my house did anyway!
Good idea, but do you think that would void any warranty as it is a brand new house?

FYI new build house warranties are a bit of a misnomer, in reality your warranty will only cover big issues such as subsidence or something that would affect the value (or something in the mortgage company's interest to be more specific). House warranties are one of those carrots developers dangle in front of buyers but in reality they’re in place to provide comfort to your mortgage company who typically own the house, unless you maybe own it outright. They worse case you may get a few cracks in the ceiling which is neither here nor there and you'll prolly get a few anyway with the initial settlement.

Anyway consider that when your house was being constructed that there could have been two or three big ass roofers standing on the joists, they seem flimsy but will actually cope more than adequately with the Christmas dec’s and empty suitcase etc. Additional joists are preferable but your stilts will be OK.

Good idea, but do you think that would void any warranty as it is a brand new house?
I can't see it voiding the warranty any more than putting boards on stilts would.

And the advantage with just laying cardboard down is, if there was an issue, it takes 5 minutes to remove it and deny you ever did it

I can't see it voiding the warranty any more than putting boards on stilts would.

And the advantage with just laying cardboard down is, if there was an issue, it takes 5 minutes to remove it and deny you ever did it
I see what you are saying with the card board!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back