Loft Boarding A New Build House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a new build house (2007) and really need to get more storage for things such as suitcases and old magazines / things that are infrequently used etc.

The loft has 35mm joices that are 4" deep, and spaced 600mm apart.

Currently have 5" extra insulation cross layed.

I 'plan' on running some 5" x 2" at 400mm centers at right angles to the current joices, and then relaying the insulation; and then boarding over the top for this light storage.

Is this 'new build' house going to be capable of taking this weight?

Looking at boarding most of the space (up to 1foot from eaves) so about 25 sq mtr.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The loft has 35mm joists that are 4" deep, and spaced 600mm apart.

Is this 'new build' house going to be capable of taking this weight?

With joist that are only 1 1/2" by 4" to be honest I'd be worried about the weight of the AIR up there!

Empty suitcases, OK. But there's no way I'd chance putting the weight of loft boards, 5 x 2's, or magazines up there.

The loft spaces in new build houses really are not designed to be used for storage. They've been built down to a price and the joists are only sized to be capable of holding up the insulation and the ceilings - no more.

It'll be fine. I have done this, stuck far more than I should have in the loft and lived to tell the tale. It will be fine.

Empty suitcases, OK. But there's no way I'd chance putting the weight of loft boards, 5 x 2's, or magazines up there.
Or indeed people walking about to put/get stuff.

It'll be fine. I have done this, stuck far more than I should have in the loft and lived to tell the tale. It will be fine.
Really?

With joists as insubstantial as the OP's?

Sponsored Links
Two completely conflicting answers.

Just to add to the debate, I have measured the joists now (guestimated before) and they are actually 3" x 1.5".

A few pictures of the loft structure attached.

I ideally want to be able to board at least the centre out for storage, if possible :(

SDC12322.jpg

SDC12323.jpg

SDC12324.jpg

SDC12325.jpg

SDC12326.jpg

SDC12327.jpg

And incase it matters, the very top rafters (that actually touch the tiles) are supported on an external wall at the rear and an RSJ at the front. The same wall and RSJ that the current joists are supported by - Approx 4.8m apart.

Ta

Provided you don't go mad & spread it all around a bit it will be fine. I suppose nobody in this thread has ever walked around a loft with pre-fab trusses? And if they have did they fall through the ceiling when a truss broke in half? No thought not! :rolleyes:

Not 100% convinced it will be ok tbh. I have spoke to a technical department of a roofing company who have confirmed it will be fine as long as no pianos are stored up there. lol

Surely it can't be that weak that it wont take some 5x2 and some 18mm chipboard?

And I suppose a couple of burly roofers or electricians or whoever walking around up there should have fallen through the ceiling when it was built too! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back