Advised not to board over loft in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
A friend of mine has recently moved into a new build property and wanted me to help with some boarding / storage up in the loft.
He was advised by the foreman in charge of the estate to 'not put anything heavy up there, maybe only a christmas tree or a few suitcases at the most'. I live in a slightly older house so have put some boards up in the loft without any fear.
I wondered if anyone else has ever heard of this? Do they really make new houses which can't take the weight of a few new joists and boards? Seems a bit odd to me but I certainly don't want to start talking about putting boards up there only to find myself in the first floor bedroom in a whole world of trouble.
Thanks in advance and hello everyone, I'm new here.
Sam

Sponsored Links
Sure they didn't mean don't put anything up there without boarding it?

The foreman is merely passing on the recommendations of the truss suppliers, as he is duty bound to. They will be fine, bear in mind they are designed to cope with a couple of fat builders/electricians up there doing the loft insulation/wiring etc! ;)

So the Xmas tree decs OK, an anvil probably not.

Sponsored Links
Ok, there is two lots of insulation up there so will have to put joists at 90 degrees to existing ones before boarding. Feel a bit apprehensive adding all this weight before anything actually gets stored up there no matter how fat the electricians were!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back