New carpet...with rogue tufts!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had new carpet put down throughout my house...dark grey. It was done about a week or so ago and I have noticed quite a few darker fibres in the carpet following vacuuming the place...I thought that it was black polish or something but it is definitely fibres woven into the carpet. Bought it from John Lewis who had an inspector come out to look at another problem (carpet not staying under a door bar) today. He said he hadn't seen so many 'rogue tufts' before...I guess there are at least 20 in total in various places over a floor area of about 900 sq ft...possibly more as I have moved furniture into place.

They are going to send a rep from the manufacturer to have a look.

My questions are:

1. How common is this problem?
2. Is 20 spots a lot?
3. Is it fixable or are gaps likely to be left
4. Is it acceptable having spent nearly £4k on the carpets (plus fitting)
5. Should I insist on a replacement carpet throughout?

I really don't want to spent half a day watching someone do a repair job on this - none of these people seem to work when it is convenient for me (early morning/late evening or weekends!)

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Probably best to ask this in Floors, Stairs and Lofts section but for what it's worth, I should imagine that if the inspector found it unusual then you may have been sold faulty carpet. Hard to say that you should insist on new until you know whether any repairs are noticeable, so, if repairs are made and you are not happy with them, then will be the time to ask for replacement.

As said, Flooring section will be able to guide you a bit better.

Well if I had paid out that amount of money I would not be satisfied with any repair and would therefore want a replacement.

Dec

Well if I had paid out that amount of money I would not be satisfied with any repair and would therefore want a replacement.

Dec

Me neither, but perhaps repair is the wrong term. Generally, a rogue tuft is just one thread within the carpet and can often be removed (rather than repaired) without being noticed or replaced with a new thread 'sewn' into the carpet. However, if there are excessive 'rogue tufts' then I would imagine a replacement would be offered anyway as these sort of problems should have been spotted and sorted at the factory.

Sponsored Links
The way I view it is that the op has already encountered one problem, and now regarding the (rogue tufts) he has encountered over 20 more, I wonder how long he would have to wait before he discovers any more faults. In my opinion if I had outlayed 4K I may have perhaps put up with the fact that there was a minor problem regarding fitting, however I would not put up with someone snipping bits off it.

I would without hesitation demand a replacement!!!!

Dec

Thanks Guys. My blood pressure is starting to rise on this one!!

The hallway alone has probably 15-20 tufts...some are string like woven into the carpet and others are finer but still visible. I haven't done a full count but I imagine I could get to 50 easily enough.

I will post in the other section which I hadn't spotted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back