Carpet with 'rogue tufts'!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had new carpet put down throughout my house...dark grey. It was done about a week or so ago and I have noticed quite a few darker fibres in the carpet following vacuuming the place...I thought that it was black polish or some other marks I had made but it is now clear that it is different colour fibres woven into the carpet. Bought it from John Lewis who had an inspector come out to look at another problem (carpet not staying under a door bar) today. He said he hadn't seen so many 'rogue tufts' before...I guess there are around 30-40 in total in various places over a floor area of about 900 sq ft...possibly more as I have moved furniture into place. Some are thick and woven into the carpet...others are finer and can be pulled out with a bit of fiddling. Some can be very clearly seen when you are standing up looking down...others you need to get down closer to the carpet to see.

Their normal procedure is to send someone to try to fix it and if that doesn't help they go to the manufacturer. In this case however, they are going to skip the first step and send a rep from the manufacturer to have a look as the problem looks significant.

My questions are:

1. How common is this problem?
2. Is it fixable or are gaps likely to be left
3. Is it acceptable having spent nearly £4k on the carpets (plus fitting)
4. Should I insist on a replacement carpet throughout?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Rogue Tufts are very common, although by no means do all carpets suffer, it is likely to be an issue with this particular production batch.

Rogue Tufts can usually be repaired quickly and easily on-site and the remedial action will be invisible.

If you have the work done and are not happy with the results, you are still entitled to replacement or a discount to keep the carpet.

I would definately have the remedial work done, you have nothing to lose and it's likely to resolve the issue with the minimum of disruption.

£4k may be alot of money for you to spend on an install but I assure you, that's probably a small to middle'ish job for a retailer like John Lewis, they will be very very experienced at putting 'right' jobs that are in a substantially more expensive product, fitted in some very difficult installations and areas, they will be hugely experienced at putting things like this right for you, that's why they charge some of their prices, to cover the costs of the excellent customer service they are known for!

Should it happen with any carpet? Probably not, but no manufacturer is perfect, and the manufacturer/John Lewis or indeed any reputable retailer or supplier will put the issue right for you.

It may be a bit frustrating but lets face it, it's not the end of the world, give them a chance to sort it all, if they don't or can't, then take things further.

If it is deemed likely that a replacement of some areas is required, ensure that the replacement carpets will be a) from the same dye batch and b) the pile will run the same direction as the original installation. There is a chance that replacing individual rooms from new stock may not colour match the existing areas if a different pile direction or dye batch is supplied.

I personally think you will be very happy with remedial work, let us know how you get on.

Alex.

Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for an appointment with an independent inspector who will then report back to John Lewis and the carpet manufacturer.

I will report back in due course.

Thy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back