New Carpets still shedding fluff????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had some new 80/20 wool carpets installed in April 2013 and after several months the carpet in the living room and stairwell are still shedding a lot of fluff. The other carpets are ok as are roll ends, however the carpet on the stairwell and living area are slightly under weight but not faulty.

The underweight carpet especially on the stairs is starting to look flat, is this normal and will it settle down, or should o visit the carpet store i got the carpet from.

Many thanks in advance.

Mandy

Sponsored Links
Hi Mandy

When you say 'under weight' what do you mean?

Have you already been in touch with the carpet retailer regarding this?

It is perfectly normal for carpets to shed, and many will for some months. It can vary batch to batch and if a carpet has only been down since April I would expect them to shed for a while yet. There would be a problem if complete tufts were lifting out of the carpet for example though.

What type of vacuum cleaner are you using? Upright or cylinder? and how often do you vacuum the carpet?

Most retailers would register an issue like this with the manufacturer who may, or may not decide to inspect at such an early stage, but would certainly keep a record of the reported issue on file and probably review things in 3 months time to see if there is any improvement.

If you can answer some of the questions above, I could possibly advise further. Do you know the make and range of the carpet?

You say the carpet is starting to look flat, what underlay was fitted under it? old or new? rubber, crumb, foam, felt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back