carpeting steps/stairs

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I kept some offcuts from the hall, and have enough to do a short (4-steps) stairway to a bathroom. I have DIY'd carpet before and am confident I can fit it.

The old one is tacked under the nose and in the riser/tread angle. Is that the correct way to do it? I have seen smoothedge used in the angle, two pieces I think, and the carpet knocked in with a bolster. I have never done that.

It is hessian-backed, I think it is woven not tufted, but how can I check? (if it matters)

Sponsored Links
what ever you do doNOT force the carpet between the tread back and riser
unless you love the springy effect or squeeky sound off knackered stairs :eek:

knocked in between two closely-spaced strips of smoothedge, I mean, so the teeth hold it.

not sure my self :D
i didnt think you ment that but just to remove any doubt ;)

Sponsored Links
I kept some offcuts from the hall, and have enough to do a short (4-steps) stairway to a bathroom. I have DIY'd carpet before and am confident I can fit it.

The old one is tacked under the nose and in the riser/tread angle. Is that the correct way to do it? I have seen smoothedge used in the angle, two pieces I think, and the carpet knocked in with a bolster. I have never done that.

It is hessian-backed, I think it is woven not tufted, but how can I check? (if it matters)

YES - it matters!

carpet fitted to stairs needs to have the pile fitted in the correct orientation otherwise it wears out REALLY quickly

hessian backed carpet SHOULD be fitted over underlay - otherwise it wears out REALLY quickly

hessian backed carpet should be fitted onto gripper to secure it.

stairs should ideally be fitted as blocks of 3 using one continuous piece of carpet

etc

etc

However if this is just a cheap temporary job carry on

It is is my own house and have no plans of moving or dying just yet.

I just looked again and there are three steps.

Looking at the backing it seems to have a mesh of threads and a stiff backing showing between them. Not hessian as I had thought. It does not look like the back of a woven rug where you can see the same wool as on the upper surface.

Any suggestions?

Looking at the backing it seems to have a mesh of threads and a stiff backing showing between them. Not hessian as I had thought. It does not look like the back of a woven rug where you can see the same wool as on the upper surface.

Any suggestions?

Hessian backed carpets aren't all that common these days. Manufacturers use cheaper materials.. It doesn't sound woven from your description. If you can upload a photo I'll let you know. Action backed carpets are used a lot these days..

Any suggestions?

Hessian backed carpets aren't all that common these days. Manufacturers use cheaper materials.. It doesn't sound woven from your description. If you can upload a photo I'll let you know. Action backed carpets are used a lot these days..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that post is just soooo wrong!

hessian backed carpets are still VERY popular.....

...........they do tend to be at the higher end of the market however!!!!!

cheaper carpets tend to have a felt backing (nothing particularly wrong with that)

most (affordable)

carpets are in fact "tufted" - woven carpets are at the top of the market and include for example "Axminster" carpets

Action back carpets or "foam back" carpets are not really I evidence these days

..............however I no longer work in retailing anymore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back