New ceiling fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on doing my bathroom so ideally need to replace the ceiling because its mouldy, cracked, lumpy ect. Now I'm happy to remove the old ceiling and paint the new one.
Was wondering if it was worth adding insulation above the new ceiling? As my bathroom gets very cold. I live in a ground floor flat with a suspended ceiling.
Also can anyone help with a rough price for a new ceiling? The room is 2m x 2.15m.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, insulate it!!

I'm doing mine and stuffing insulation everywhre I can. When you take the old cieling down you'll be covered head to foot in black dust if it's old and original...seal your self in the room and make sure you wear a mastk that fits perfectly or you'll have black bogies for weeks to come! If you seal the room well, you should'nt get dust anywhere else. If you have a window you can climb out of, even better...pull ceiling down, bag it up and climb out of the window for a cuppa and let the dust settle :) that's what I did!

Fond out why it's damp and fix the issue....do you have an extractor fan?

Add the insulationit'll not only keep it warmer but help keep sound out if there's a flat above. (considder taking out spot lights unless you are lin love with them...they make a hole in tne ceiling and let out heat and let sound in!)

As for cost...It's only two sheets of plasterboard (15/20quid?), so you could double skin it to add sound insulation. Then get it skimmed...can't take more than a day and materials can't be more than a few quid??

Not sure if that helps or not??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back