new ceiling light help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

need some help with replacing a ceiling light i uncovered 3 black 3 red and 3 earths in ceiling rose but done the man thing of taking it apart without noting where it all went. silly me. I'm trying to fit a light with red,black,earth connectors. I've got it to the point where the light works and all the other room lights work but the switch does not work the light stays on? help?

thanks

:eek:

Sponsored Links
One of the black cores is a switch line/live conductor and would be connected to live side of the lamp (this should ideally be identified by sleeving this conductor red). It would be difficult to tell you which it is without testing, using approved instruments.

If the lights stay on all the time and the rest of the house lights still work, you have connected the live loop conductors to the switched live of the light. As the above diagram shows the perm live between light fittings and switch are not directly connected across the lamp.

thanks so much for your help i found the borrowed live thanks to your diagram and all is working fine thanks. have a good new year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back