New Central Heating Pump hums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i We had to have a new central heating pump fitted as the last one started to make a high screeching noise. This new pump makes a an audiable humming noise which vibrates around the house, it is situated in an airing cupboard. The reason why I am posting this problem is that the old pump before it died, was much quieter, both pumps are the same make. Any ideas on what I should do?

Sponsored Links
There should be an adjustable speed toggle switch, on the side of the electrical connection box on the pump.
I suspect that the pump is set on a speed too high.Try adjusting to see if it quitens down.

Graham

If not then there may be tension in the pump pipe.

Slightly loosen the 22 mm compression nut and wiggle the pump to find the loose position and then retighten the nut taking care not to let the pipe twist.

Tony Glazier

More like air trapped. If old pump was OK, then new pump should be the same.

Sponsored Links
Try a lower speed speed and as mentioned get rid of any stuck air inside it.
Lastly if that dont work , move :D

Thanks to everybody who answered my post, well I found that it was set to number 2 on the speed dial, I have set it to 1 and all is quiet in the house. I have also found on line a manual for it, which states it should have been set to 1 to save enery. :p

Scouse, pump speed is related to type of system installed and temperature differential required across the load. Find it hard to understand why a maker would offer three speeds on a pump and then say use speed 1 only. If that were the case, it would only come with one speed i.e. speed 1, saving the makers money. Hence, some pumps do not have a selector.

Anyway, good that you have an answer to your woes.

Its unusual that a pump on '2' is too noisy.

However, if it works fine on '1' then thats ok.

Shortly all pumps are to be replaced with efficient permanent magnet types under EU regs!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back