New chrome pillar needed to support bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom sink is currently supported by a chrome pillar, pictures below.

Anyone know if I can simply buy a replacement pillar somewhere (I want to raise the sink) ? Or would I need to get it made ?

Any help appreciated.

sink_pillar.jpg

sink_pillar_detail.jpg

Sponsored Links
Judging by the look of that `chrome pillar` I can see that it`s very early 2004, available in 22mm chrome effect copper....try B&Q

Bamber gaspipe said:
Judging by the look of that `chrome pillar` I can see that it`s very early 2004, available in 22mm chrome effect copper....try B&Q

Actually its mid/late '99 :)

So you reckon B&Q ... were you thinking just a replacement piece of pipe, or a specific bathroom fitting with a base and that odd contraption at the top ?

Odd contraption looks like a bolt ,on top of a washer,on top of chrome piece of pipe... why not rip out the sink & buy one that suits you needs...

Sponsored Links
I'm happy with the looks of what I've got, just want something a bit higher, that's all.

What an horrendous mess of an installation. Someone has fabricated a metal pedestal instead of using the correct ceramic one.

If you're really determined to repeat the disaster, then the metal support looks like the kind of chrome plated wardrobe rail that you can get at various sheds and cut down to size.

Softus said:
What an horrendous mess of an installation. ....

If you're really determined to repeat the disaster, ...
In aesthetic terms it's not a disaster at all ... it fits well with the look of the rest of the flat (light, minimal).

If its somehow a disaster from a structural or functional point of view I'd be interested to know. ... Though actually, the fact that it was done by a Builder of national stature and repeated in the other 103 flats in my block tends to make me think that's not the case, though I appreciate it's no guarantee.

Thanks for the hints on the pipe ... but it's more the fittings that concern me ... I don't know if I'm going to be able to re-use whatever it is that screw connects to (would it be called a 'plug' ?) ... I don't know untill its disasembled whether its fixed by being glued or welded in (disaster) or else if it is simply resting on the pipe or else screwed in.

I apologise - my comment was ill-considered, and I wasn't commenting on the overall aesthetics, which isn't a judgement I'd make anyway.

Structurally, I can't tell from the photo whether or not the basin is firmly secured to the wall, and whether the wall construction is strong enough to take it, but the pole isn't supporting the weight of the basin in its centre, so whenever anyone applies part of their weight to the top of the basin (which is inevitable - we all do it), there's a greater than usual shear force at the wall fixings.

if you like it ,fine.In priciple it`s a good idea. In fact I`m tempted to get something similar fabricated properly in stainless steel, as I have a small basin hanging in my shower room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back