New cistern leaking at flushpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After spending half a day frustrating myself installing a new cistern I could really do with a pointer from someone more experienced!!

I have replaced my old toilet with a new back-to-wall job with the cistern boxed in and the flush pipe cut through a hole in the boxing making the fitting of the this to the cistern very awkward to get to, but i thought it should be manageable.

THE PROBLEM: the join at the flush pipe to cistern keeps leaking - convinced i had understood the instructions wrong i took the cistern/flushpipe off and put the washer on the flushpipe the otherway up but to no avail.

it leaks on the inside of the flush system around the pipe and where the system joins the cistern itself. Should i use any sanitary sealant or something along those lines?

Any help would be much appreciated as i has been driving me mad constantly filling and draining the system - especially when it's difficult to get my hand/arm into the boxing and tighten the nut!

Many thanks, Kev.

Sponsored Links
does it leak on the underside then ?
needs tightning up with some large pump plyers...not over done but more than hand tight.

is the cistern "body" aroun the opening smooth so the rubber makes a good seal ?

yeah it leaks on the underside - quite profusely unfortunately. I have only tightened it by hand up until now, but tight enough that it took ages to get undone!!

as far as i know the cistern body looks smooth inside and out, but i'll double check.

Would the grips be ok on the plastic nut?

Just to put my mind at rest, the rubber washer on the pipe, i.e. effectively inside the nut, the thin edge should be pointing towards the end of the pipe and the fatter, flatter end in the nut?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is the correct way the rubber washer goes on the pipe.

Use a pair of waterpump pliers on the nut but don't overtighten it. You shouldn't need to use slicone on these joints.

I don't really know what else to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back