New combi boiler, rads, TRV's on 10mm microbore pipework....noisy rads and loud tapping in ceiling?

WB engineers are there for the WB boiler, not the system. I'm surprised they would even touch the system once they've deduced that the boiler is performing as it should.

Maybe they didn't! But just commented on it instead!

What you really need is a decent independent heating engineer and plumber who can look at the whole system.
It is true the WB engineer is only responsible for the workings of the boiler, however at the time when we had called WB out we were trying to get to the bottom of the issue as at this point we only have the hissing in the rads and the chattering at two TRV's. Also our installer recommended we get WB out to get their take on things as he didn't have any thoughts on the matter. Its laughable when I type this that a gas engineer who is WB accredited with 30-40 years experience cannot figure out what is going on or even shed any light as to what is causing the issues.

I think when WB came out is was to appease me the third time, albeit WB have really gone down in my estimations after rolling out the 4000 from the factory without a vital update which meant it took two sink full of water before you got warm water. A known issue that they let slip and hoped customers would not notice.

My issue is finding a decent gas engineer that knows his stuff, when you don't know enough about what they are telling you then really its hard to know unless its obvious if they are spinning you yet another pile of rubbish.

Sponsored Links
I think when WB came out is was to appease me the third time, albeit WB have really gone down in my estimations after rolling out the 4000 from the factory without a vital update which meant it took two sink full of water before you got warm water. A known issue that they let slip and hoped customers would not notice.

Combi boilers, producing hot water on demand, unlike the setup of stored hot water you previously had, do have quite a bit of lag - especially if the pipe runs from boiler to the tap are long. The flame has to first heat the heat exchanger matrix, then fill the pipe with hot water.

Your noise issue, in my opinion, would seem to be a combination of pump pressure, combined with TRV's mounted on the return, rather than flow - despite them being described as being able to be fitted to either end of the rads. Your TRV's being forced open by the pump pressure, despite the rooms being up to temperature(?) - you said radiators boiling hot, would seem to confirm this hypothesis.

These are all things your guy ought to be able to sort out, and I agree that it's no WB's job to out any problems out side problems beyond the boiler casing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back