TRV's & Cold Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have just had some work completed on my central heating system. It is a pumped system powered by a WB Greenstar Standard Condensing Boiler. The Header tank and all other related tanks etc. are in the loft. The CH has been working fine and as part of the work I have had a rad capped off and 2 larger ones added in place of existing smaller ones. I have had TRV's added to 3 of my upstairs radiators (the other upstairs one already had a TRV).

The new larger upstairs rad only work intermittently i.e. in the morning but not at other times. I can feel that the flow pipe is hot but water does not appear to be coming through the valve. I know they work on temp. but there is no way the room is warm enough to stop the TRV working.

I also have another of the upstairs rads that is not getting hot (does get warm) even though the TRV is open fully and the rad immediately below is not getting warm at all (this is TRV controlled). The downstairs system is all microbore but all rads are getting hot except one.

Is this just a balancing issue? If so could you let me know how to go about accurately balancing the system -

Many thanks

Rhys

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if it needs balancing. That can be quite difficult when you have mixed microbore and can still result in quirks.

Obviously the installer of the rads should have done the balancing!

If he is CORGI registered to install the boiler then he should know how to do balancing!!!

Call him back !!!

Tony

Thanks Tony.

The fitter is Corgi but he didn't fit the bolier he has only carried out the recent rad upgrade and TRV's.

Is there a basic principle for balancing that would get me a start such as starting with all the rads open the closing them down bit by bit?

Cheers
R

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.

The fitter is Corgi but he didn't fit the bolier he has only carried out the recent rad upgrade and TRV's.

Cheers
R

Any proper person fitting rads and TRVs would know they would need balancing and would include it in the quotation or at least advise you it would need doing.

There is a degree of skill needed in any balancing. A simple system can be done by a competent DIYer but considerable skill is needed to do it well on a mixed system.

Call him back!!!

Tony

One of the good things I notice about microbore systems is the pipes block up really easy, especially when you drain the system.

Before you rip it all out, check the pin under the trv head isn't stuck, and try just that radiator with all the others turned off

Thanks all - will have a bash at balancing the system myself to relieve the earache and neck pain currently being experienced.

If all else fails I'll just get rid of the wife!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back