New combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard Baxi Boiler which connects to the outside through Metal pipe onto an asbestos flue.

We are going to have an extension put on the side of the house where the flue is so thought it a good time to replace the old flue, but we also wanted to change to a combi boiler for 'instant heated water' and also so that we could get rid of the water cylinder in the bathroom and install a stand up shower.

A gas engineer who was installing our fire told us that our piping would not stand up to the extra pressures needed for a combi boiler (we have 2 pipes going to each radiator).

Is this true?
If so is there any way round it in order to get a combi without replacing all that piping.

If not what sort of cost would it be to replace.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
how old is the piping going to the rads is it copper I think you may possibly be getting mislead. for want of a better word.

YES I agree sometimes on an older system you can get leaks from joints that didnt leak before.

I cant see it so i dont no. if you have doubts call another plumber for a second quotation

I've been in the house 5 years so anytime before that i'm not sure.

He was basically saying it was because there were 2 pipes going to each rad that he said would leak under higher pressure.

He's right that combis will push the water round at a higher pressure, and this will 'find' any weak connections in the current pipework. But this doesn't mean the pipes are going to fail.
I'm not sure that having two pipes has much to do with it. Don't all radiators have two pipes ? !! [/i]

Sponsored Links
im a bit baffled by the two pipe bit as well. I think you have your answer perhaps a second quotation may be advised

You must bear in mind, that the fella actually told my wife this, who then relayed it to me in wifey speak so......................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back