New combi = No more shower curtain + Waterproof walls

Excellent! Many, many thanks for taking the time to read and post.

Over the past few days I've come to more or less the same conclusions, it's just good for someone to confirm some of my findings.

- Side wall of shower and toilet are both against external wall so no soundproofing needed. Will fill with insulation however to keep the heat in and speed drying.

- I can MR PB down to the floor at the tap end but not along the side wall. The CH pipes and the feeds to the cistern and basin run along the base of the wall under the bath. I'll have to start a foot off the floor on that side, I guess that's OK.

- I'll buy full-bore isolation valves, didn't even think of that :oops:

- Screen - As you say, I'll attach through to the batten on the RHS of the bath. However I was thinking of tiling up to it, rather than tiling and attaching on top of the tiles - flatter surface, no letting adhesive dry, no cracking of tiles when tightening etc. But..more danger of water getting through I guess...hmmm

- Tanking - was going to get the Marpei kit for £60 as it's available at my local Screwfix, that comes with a load of tape.

As I've said before, thanks for commenting!

Dan

Sponsored Links
My pleasure.
I have done all of that - so happy to speed up your process. Been trying to remember what else I did.

1) Put wood batton (or anly lump of wood) behind plasterboard where the toilet paper holder will be. I forgot and toilet paper holder always then seems to be too heavy to secure to plasterboard only.

2) If needed Also put wood batton behind platerboard where shower head will be attached.

3) Understood about the Shower Screen directly only wall and then tile up to it on the inside. This is the correct way to do it. Tiles only go behind if whole wall is tiled.

3) Tiling. You never want to have thin slivers of tiles as the are impossible to cut. So if using larger tiles, just check that shower Screen is in best position to make tiling easier (as you will have a couple of cm leeway on bath edge). You might want to tile and then put up shower Screen last. Water will not be an issue down that edge. I find with those shower Screens bathroom gets wet as shower water bounces off shoulders and goes round end of screen onto floor. :<

4) If you cannot get Platerboard down to floor behind bath it is not an issue.

5) I used these to but up battons.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-nylon-nylon-hammer-screws-6-x-80mm-pack-of-50/49350
I found my Masonary drill bit was would drill though the wood batton. So held batton in place, put in small countersing into wood so screw head not proud , drilled though batton and into wall in one go and loosely put a Frame Fixing into this hole to hold batton in place. Then worked down batton doing the same, finally knocking them all in place. Saved a lot of time as before I was drilling seperate holes in wood and bricks and using rawl plugs in each.

SFK

But don't use plasterboard anywhere where the wall might get wet even if covered by tiles.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back