New Condensing Combi, which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got as medium size 3 bed house and thinking of swapping over for a condensing combi. Looking on the net i've narrowed my options (maybe wrongly) to the following;

Potterton Gold 33he
Baxi DuoTEC 33he
Worcester Greenstar 30cdi

I've got a couple of young kids so immediate hot water and plenty of it is important. The Potterton and Baxi both give 13.5l/m and the Worcester gives 12.7l/m The potterton gives a 3yr parts and labour warranty and the others is only 2. Not too much in price between them to sway a decision.

Most installers on forums suggest Valliant and Worcester although i can't find one as efficient or providing as much hot water as the potterton and Baxi- are they that much better?

What would you choose? I'm not too bothered about cost within reason i.e. £800- £1100, more swayed by output, efficiency and reliability.

Sponsored Links
Has i've mentioned on previous posts I like the INTERGAS combi, everyone on this forum will give you a different answer depending on where they live, who gives them the most freebies, or based on there expierence, Baxi are getting better, worcester and vailant arent as good as they used to be, veissmann are popular with some as are most of the boiler's made in Holland.You can expect to pay £800plus for a decent Combi. just look on this forum at all the problems with all manufacturers and you can see why this is not an easy question to answer.

Fitted dozens of the Worcesters-not had a call back to one of 'em.

Got one myself too. system version though.

Worcestor do seem to have good back up , if you are thinking about any type of British gas cover , as I was told B.G probably stock all the parts , for worcestor , & Vaillant , personally I dont like boilers with alloy heat exc's (Worcestor) but thats my opinion , I also would not use any manufacturer that uses service agents , those you list dont (good)

Sponsored Links
We have 3 houses.

All 3 bedroom houses with min 7 rads and max 10 rads.

We have fitted Vaillant ecotec 831 to all three over the last 18 months and have not had any problems at all the ecotec has a stainless heat exchange and I find the boiler very quite.

The only thing I had was (and i think i did it) was a temp selecting knob broke, Vaillant service arrived within 36 hrs and changed the part under the warranty without quibble.

Go on the Worcester Bosch Website - have a look under find an installer section. You will receive 5 years parts & labour warranty from an accredited WB Installer.

Mike

As previously mentioned most of the boilers noted will be acceptable. Most important thing is to ensure system properly flushed and treated. I also recommend fitting a filter such as the magnaclean or fernox units.

Oh, and ensure its properly serviced every year !

For each choice of boiler -Ring the manufacturer as if you had had a breakdown - establish how difficult it is to get connected to a living person, then try to get connected to one that has 1) a brain, 2) a helpful attitude. This will give you some idea of what you will be up against when the thing eventually packs up mid-winter...

Following on from another poster a magnaclean is a superbe tool and really helps keep the system clean.

If fitting a boiler the extra cost of £80-90 (depending if the installer passes on his discount) is money well spent and is easily fitted at the install stage.

Do you have space for an unvented hot water cylinder and adequate incoming water main flow and pressure? If so go for this with a Vaillant/Worcester system boiler and an S plan system.

Get some local Gas Safe Registered installers to pop round telling them this is what you want.

For some reason everyone wants combis when the above system is far superior!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back