new cornice over existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had bedrooms re-plastered but at that time didn't think about curtains and the cornice, I now find the cornice too plain and also when thinking of curtains I actually like the idea of having a gap in between the cornice and wall and install the curtain rails in the gap.

So would that be a DIY job to fit new cornice over the existings (don't want to take all cornices off to minimise the work and dusts but will have to take off the once on window walls to make way for curtain rails), whats the best way to fit them? For the window wall I think I'll need to fit a board across in parallel to the window wall to create the gap then fix the cornice to the board.

View media item 101484

Sponsored Links
Won't the curtain rail need to sit where the current cornice is?

I can understand why you don't want the disruption of removing the existing cornice but it might not be physically possible to plant another one over the top.

Providing that the new cornice is bigger than the old cornice you won't need to worry about replastering (again), with the possible exception of the areas where the curtail tracks are to be fitted. Oh, and I imagine that those curtains must be an absolute nightmare to rehang on the runners when they need to come off for cleaning.

BTW, where did you see those curtains? I am surprised that they work given that bend looks like it can't be much more than 90 degrees

Won't the curtain rail need to sit where the current cornice is?

I can understand why you don't want the disruption of removing the existing cornice but it might not be physically possible to plant another one over the top.

Providing that the new cornice is bigger than the old cornice you won't need to worry about replastering (again), with the possible exception of the areas where the curtail tracks are to be fitted. Oh, and I imagine that those curtains must be an absolute nightmare to rehang on the runners when they need to come off for cleaning.

BTW, where did you see those curtains? I am surprised that they work given that bend looks like it can't be much more than 90 degrees

You are right that the curtain rails will sit where the current cornice is, so I was hoping only to remove the current cornice on the window side wall.

when you say it might not be physically possible to plant over the top of the existing cornice, was it the shape/size of the new cornice or it's related how you fix the cornice?

Given enough gap ( 15cm+ ) and not so deep I think it 's okay job to get the curtains out, I had similar curtain in my old apartment. The pic was randomly from internet but might be a two peace job. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back