New CU for Shower, Bath and Heated Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greeting all,

Some help would be greatly appreciated; this question has been asked in some similar questions but not with my specific issues.

I am following the advice from this group on fitting a supplimentary CU connected from a 50 amp MCB on the main CU.

The new additional CU will have a 63 amp RCD with a 50 amp MCB for the shower and a 16 amp MCB for the Whirlpool bath.

Now circumstances have changed and my wife has gone and bought a 925w underfloor heating system.

Questions are:

1. Which MCB would be recommended for the underfloor heating.

2. I had it in mind to make the distance between the main CU and new additional CU as short as possible. Now had an idea of mounting the new CU in the loft. Is it OK to have the 10mm cable running from the main CU to the new one, 10m max. Then mount new CU in loft and run the new circuits - Shower / Bath / Floor from there?

3. What surface should/could the new CU be mounted to?

4. Is the plan OK?

I intend to get the work signed off, just saving myself some money on the way.

Any information or assistance is gratefully appreciated.

Piers

Sponsored Links
I think this is a little out of a diy'ers range to be honest.
A 50amp, 10mm submain isn't gonna be much good feeding a large shower, bath and underfloor.
I'd recommend calling an electrician as I'd advise running an armoured cable (larger than 10mm) up to the second CU.
You may be able to save some money by running this cable for the spark, if he's happy with this.

I take it you know that this is notifiable to the LABC with regards to Part-P of the building regulations..?

that said.. a 6A breaker with a 5A fuse in the FCU ( installed in the correct zones in the bathroom ) should do you for the floor heating..

there are also lots of specific regs dealing with wiring in the bathroom and ones dealing with the under-floor electric heating too..

the CU is best put somewhere that it is easy to get to so you can reset the breakers without difficulty, so in th eloft is not a good option unless your loft is converted and you have stairs to get up there..

as you seem to be lacking in electrical knowledge, I suggest that you leave it to the professionals this time..

Sponsored Links
Thanks, for the information.

I appreciated that it is notifiable under Regs Part P. That will be done.

The loft is boarded out and is in fact a room. Off of it is a small loft space easily accessible.

All I really want to get sorted is running the necessary cables whilst I have boards up and studwork walls down.

Piers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back