garage CU at rear of house inside !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello my main CU unit is a crabtree 80A RCCB 30mA2 pole BS 4293 type SB6000 it has 2 spare slots
I also have a spare 32amp type 1 mcb
As I can’t seem to buy a larger mcb bigger than a 32 amp
My question is can I run a 6mm SWA cable from this 32amp from my main CU

To this unit from the screw fix unit below
British general 5- module 3 way populated garage ( 1926G )
or any other GARAGE CU ?

Please note I’m installing the unit at other end of my bungalow inside !

from my new garage CU which will be at rear of home
run 5 outdoor garden sockets of the 32amp
And run 6 led fence lights off the 6amp
My other question is the 32amp MCB on my main CU
Good enough to run 6mm SWA cable to the screw fix unit
Been told to buy a 63amp for my CU but cannot buy any bigger than the 32 amp !
cheers alf

Sponsored Links
It can be done, however as to if you can do it, I don't know. It also seems a little odd design. In the main the aim is to reduce supply overloads as we daisy chain them, so with a 32A supply to second consumer unit there is no point fitting a 32A MCB in that unit.

So for a socket supply in a garden your unlikely to draw 32A and to run a 4 mm radial when you could run a 2.5 mm radial seems pointless, so I would fit a 20A and 6A in the slave CU so I could us smaller cables.

In fact unless I was turning a garage into a work shop I would use a 13A supply to the garage, as once you go over 13A then your looking as registering the work with the LABC so if it can run on 13A the whole job ends up £100's cheaper.

Be aware you don't need to upgrade existing electrics, however any new electrics must comply with current rules, so need RCD protection for sockets etc. So taking a supply from an old distribution unit (fuse box or consumer unit) can present problems where it does not comply with current regulations.

Of course some one needs to catch up, and if not a rental accommodation then unlikely you will get caught, until you ask some one else to work on it, so you may be able to DIY but if latter you ask some one else to work on the system it would cause problems. In Wales what you are wanting to do would come under Part P however done, well there was a Blagdon system designed to get around the law, but what the law is varies through the UK, so it is up to you how to comply with the law.

So start at the beginning what do you want the array of sockets in the garden for? For patio heaters and hot tubs then you need a large supply, but otherwise 13A is likely enough.

thank you ericmark and andy

At the moment I have 1.5mm SWA for fence lights

And 2.5mm SWA for the outside sockets

Bought the Pratley underground 3 way tees

as the 1.5mm SWA will not fit the light fitting I have

I have bought the 1.5mm² 3 Core NYY-J Cable

Just to run from the tees up fence to lights these fit much easier !

Installing 6 led lights

5 outdoor sockets LAP IP66 13A 2-Gang DP Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket (30139)
To run water feature, now a outdoor heater, The others are spare for xmas stuff,
I have a few around 8 no plans to buy a hot tub but as we all knows wives change their minds often ! maybe 2022

I have just found a type 1 40A mcb on eBay or stick with the 32A MCB

just waiting to see what best to use 4mm SWA from main CU or 6MM SWA to the new garage CU at rear of house
got all the earthing glands

don't wont to throw a spanner in the works but reading a few other site some mention better to run a 4mm swa 0r 6mm swa to new garage CU
as there will be no need to upgrade in the future
I'm not going to do this probably for a few years we have a old shed but for now low on funds
in 2022 having a little pot of cash out so will need to but a new shed
so would like to add one socket down there and a FSU for 1 light
( just thought to point this out now encase your working calculations in your minds )
cheers alf

Sponsored Links
bg ?
just had thought as I'm` installing slave CU at rear of home
and not down garage
as it is inside ok to use 4mm T&E OR 6MM T&E to slave CU
OR STICK TO THE SWA TO SLAVE CU

BG your garage cu.

Normally swa is used so it doesn’t require rcd protection.

You could use t&e if you really wanted.
I wouldn’t use less than 6mm though

thanks any my CU users type 1
are saying type B will be ok ?
nice price too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back