New decorater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I've been a qualified decorater for a few years having been to college.im working for myself and although the course I did covered nearly everything,the only thing it didn't cover to much was basic roller techniques when rolling a ceiling.i would just like to know if the way I'm doing it is how other decorators do it.i cut in the whole ceiling ,then roll away from the natural light working across the ceiling width to width blending it in as I go,laying it off into each bit I've finished,the only reason I'm asking is I'm a bit concerned when painting new plaster not to leave any flashing,any advice would be great .

Sponsored Links
I would say that as long as your mist coat is good then the technique that is working for you would be fine, there isn't really a completely correct way of doing everything just what works for you. I didn't go to college just learnt by getting my arsed kicked a few times, you will always continue to learn new things all the time.

Thanks mate I'm just a bit concerned about it but it sounds ok the way I'm doing it to you

It sounds good to me, it's the way I work anyway, the only tip I would give I'd to brush on the mist coat as it can be messy unless its a new build or empty room etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot I appreciate the advice sorry for the late reply I had a probs with my Internet connection

It sounds good to me, it's the way I work anyway, the only tip I would give I'd to brush on the mist coat as it can be messy unless its a new build or empty room etc.

I respectfully disagree. Mist coat is only messy when it is either over-thinned (ie 50/50, when it should be as per the instructions on the can), or applied without due care. You should be able to roller a correctly thinned mist coat without much mess.

I respectfully disagree. Mist coat is only messy when it is either over-thinned (ie 50/50, when it should be as per the instructions on the can), or applied without due care. You should be able to roller a correctly thinned mist coat without much mess.
never said it would be messy just that I can be everything comes with experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back